Breed characteristics...

chicksurreal

Songster
6 Years
Dec 3, 2013
Arizona
This is Dooley, He comes from a very large Cuckoo Marans roo and a Wyandotte hen (I think). My assumption about the Wyandotte hen is because of his comb, but I'm not 100% certain because we have other brown egg layers too and he was hatched out of a brown egg. Our other brown egg layers are Delawares and Dark Cornish, his comb looks like Wyandotte to me though.

Anyway, he has VERY long legs that seem disproportionate to his body size. He may fill out, he's only 15 weeks old right now, but I was wondering if there could be some type of game chicken in his DNA. The hen and roo are both hatchery stock, so I guess anything is possible. Any ideas from looking at him?

Twins, anyone?
big_smile.png
This is a barred Rock rooster over a SLW hen, so just sub yellow skin for your guy's white skin and it's pretty much the same. First pics were around 3-4 months.....pretty scraggly looking.

Here's around 6 months. The Wyandotte influence really kicked in and I got a nice, meatier bird. I feed an all-in-one feed, around 18 or 19% protein and he filled out nicely on it.

He looks exactly like what I would expect from a cross between a Wyandotte hen and cuckoo Marans rooster. Cockerels usually have a tall and leggy look at that age. He will fill out a lot more over the next couple months.

This is the roo that fertilized the egg, we were told he is a Cuckoo Marans. He's molting here, so he looks a bit ratty.

Good to know. I was concerned about his size vs weight ratio. My other cockerel that is around 15 weeks old, a Silver Spangled Hamburg, is much more filled out and proportionate looking. This guy might be a big boy eventually, he's already almost as tall as his "dad", but much more gangly.

Back
Top Bottom