Breed choices

Yogimama

Chirping
Apr 17, 2022
Central NYS
I hope this is the right place to post this..
Trying to decide between breeds..I know I want barred rock (my mother loves them),so I’ll get two of them, and then 4 of something(s) else..maybe 2 of one choice & 2 of another?

(I have to get at least 6, and coop is only 21 sq feet so not sure I can swing 8?)

Current pullets at my TSC are:

Black Australorp, starlight green eggers, silver laced Wyandotte, & barred rock

I want friendly birds I can handle/hang out with, as much egg color variety as possible, & definitely cold hardy. All except the green eggers have been on my “maybe” list since I started researching. But I’m also intrigued by green eggs and ham 🤣🤣🤦🏻‍♀️ So now they are being considered also.

What would you choose?

To the Barred Rocks I would add 2 Australorps, a Wyandotte, and a Starlight Green Egger. Even 6 in a coop that size might lead to problems during a NY winter.
(Off topic from the post but...) problems in what way? I plan to have lots (at least 1sq ft per bird) of ventilation (if that’s the concern).
Or space wise? (I’m hoping if I weather proof their run from snow/wind, they will utilize it lots during the winter). But being a new chicken mama, maybe I’m not thinking of something on ious to those more experienced or being naive.
Thanks!

The absolute max number of chickens I'd put in 21 sf is 5. The "rule of thumb" is 4 sf per chicken, and consider that a minimum.

Is there any way you can add onto your coop? The problems that can arise are behavioral. Pecking, feather picking, even fighting. Think of having a bunch of ornery kids stuck inside on a cold rainy day when they'd rather be outside.

You may have many days in the winter when they can't go out due to extreme cold or weather. And most chickens don't like snow. I have a roof over my run, and wrap the prevailing wind sides in the winter. My chickens still did not come out when there was any snow on the ground, except to eat and drink.

The absolute max number of chickens I'd put in 21 sf is 5. The "rule of thumb" is 4 sf per chicken, and consider that a minimum.

Is there any way you can add onto your coop? The problems that can arise are behavioral. Pecking, feather picking, even fighting. Think of having a bunch of ornery kids stuck inside on a cold rainy day when they'd rather be outside.

You may have many days in the winter when they can't go out due to extreme cold or weather. And most chickens don't like snow. I have a roof over my run, and wrap the prevailing wind sides in the winter. My chickens still did not come out when there was any snow on the ground, except to eat and drink.
Oh. Hmm. I originally planned for 4, found out I had to get 6, thought I read 3 sq ft per, so thought I was ok for now.
I do plan on building a bigger coop at some point, but was going with what I could revamp for (kinda) free. Thanks for the input..I appreciate the wisdom coming from experience.

Go Ahead, Pick the Prettiest Chickens!

I have to agree with the space concerns. The usual guidelines,

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
Are generally considered MINIMUMS, and severe winters are one of the factors that makes extra space desirable. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

4 hens
  • 16 square feet in the coop. 4'x4' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber.
  • 4 feet of roost
  • 40 square feet in the run. 4'x10' or 5'x8'. 6'x6' is a bit too small, 6'x8' is more generous and easier to build than 5'x8'.
  • 4 square feet of ventilation. A 2'x2' window is theoretically enough, but in practice doesn't create any air FLOW so better to spread the venting around (and even better to exceed the minimums, especially in warm climates).
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
6 hens
  • 24 square feet in the coop. 4'x6' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber. If you can't walk into it, put the access door in the middle of the long side to make sure you can reach all areas of the coop because a stubborn chicken WILL press itself into/lay an egg in the back corner where you can't reach.
  • 6 feet of roost
  • 60 square feet in the run. 6'x10' or 8'x8'.
  • 6 square feet of ventilation.
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
One option is to buy more chicks than you actually want, raise them to the started pullet stage, pick the ones you like best, and sell the others.

I'll let other advise on space, but as far as breeds - get one of each! I love having birds I can tell apart & don't have to band. My first flock was all the same breed & I had to keep them banded to tell them apart. Over the years I have ended up with all different breeds & it's so much easier. & you end up with a very colorful egg basket that way too. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom