Starlights Green Eggers laying brown

appletree12

Hatching
Aug 17, 2023
Hi all,
I have 2 Starlight Green Eggers. Their eggs have a consistently shiny finish. If they lay the occasional brown egg, as the hatchery says they have a 5% chance of doing, would I have the shiny finish on the brown as well? I'm interested to know because my Buff Orpingtons have a matte finish, and I don't want to confuse them--I want to know who's laying what.
Anyone have experience with this? Do I expect the Starlights' brown eggs to be identical to the green except for color, or will there be other differences?

Each hen lays just one color of egg.

If one hen lays a green egg, she will always lay green eggs, and never brown eggs.
If one hen lays a brown egg, she will always lay brown eggs, and never green ones.

The 5% chance of laying brown eggs means that in a flock of 100 Starlight Green Eggers, about 95 of the hens will lay green eggs, and about 5 of them will lay brown eggs. The brown eggs would come from the same hens every time.

I have 2 Starlight Green Eggers. Their eggs have a consistently shiny finish.

If you have days when you get 2 green eggs, then you know they both lay green eggs, and you should never get any brown eggs from those birds.

Hi all,
I have 2 Starlight Green Eggers. Their eggs have a consistently shiny finish. If they lay the occasional brown egg, as the hatchery says they have a 5% chance of doing, would I have the shiny finish on the brown as well? I'm interested to know because my Buff Orpingtons have a matte finish, and I don't want to confuse them--I want to know who's laying what.
Anyone have experience with this? Do I expect the Starlights' brown eggs to be identical to the green except for color, or will there be other differences?
My starlight green eggers from hoovers have exceptionally matte eggs, so that is interesting if yours are the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom