Breed for personality?

So I constantly see people breed for color traits. Does anyone breed for personality traits such as protectiveness or friendliness or handability?? Is there any research as far as passing personality traits? Thank you.

Meyer Hatchery has listed some of the personality traits of each breed they sell. Seen in their well-written Catalogue. Mostly they concentrate on the friendliness and confinability/or free range preferences of the birds.

So I constantly see people breed for color traits. Does anyone breed for personality traits such as protectiveness or friendliness or handability?? Is there any research as far as passing personality traits? Thank you.
I have bred for personality for over 20 years. I have had cochins silkies and crosses of the 2. I don't keep males that aren't nice to the females. I have now a black silkie male who is very sweet. But I bred him from my friendliest Black female silkie and a black male that was ok. I play with the babies and name them so they come when called. To me I have had in the past males that tear a females leg open...they do not stay long. If you get your babies used to being picked up and named they will stay that way!

In my breeding project personality is only second to health. But I also started with nothing but extremely friendly/calm roosters. It seems to me to be genetic I hope to breed the perfect companion chicken in 20 years or so.

Lilalienangel, Meyers Hatchery where I bought my chicks gave personality traits for each of the different breeds. I did select mine for looks, cold hardiness, calm and sweet disposition, and for their egg-laying ability. But a LOT depends upon how much a baby chick is handled. The more the better as long as it doesn't stress them out. Myers H. describes the Rhode Island Red rooster as "aggressive males." Ancona is "aggressive" also. Orpington described as "Docile and Affectionate." If the photo of your chicken is a Mille Fleur D'Uccles (I'm guessing), then he is described as "Calm, Friendly." So yes some breeds are naturally aggressive or docile. Interesting to find out how much variation there within each breed. Take a lot of generations to make much headway, I would think.

I had an aggressive Spitzhauben rooster. I told an Amish neighbor he was headed for the soup pot, but she wanted this breed and paid me for him and a hen. I kept some of their eggs which I gave to a broody, aware of the possibility that the aggressiveness could be passed down. But the son of this rooster, now over 7 months, is calm and friendly so far. I think being raised by a broody, and in the flock, may have made the difference. He has become top bird in the flock and is polite to his hens as well.

When it comes to personality there's the modern production hybrid (isa/hyline brown) and then there's everything else. The increased intelligence, boldness and friendliness makes them seem like almost another species, it's like comparing dogs to cats and every backyard breeder I've known who's owned them agrees. It's gone largely unnoticed to this point as they're mainly used for egg factories and are discarded, even the backyard ones die after 2 years and before you've had a chance to get attached which is why I'm currently experimenting with crossing them to longer-lived heritage breeds. My first cross an Araucana/Isa Brown was so far ahead of her Australorp and Ameraucana hatchmates that I remained convinced she was a rooster right up to the point she laid her first egg. I mean the Australorps were less flighty than the Ameraucanas and they'd all eventually get to the point of taking food from my hand but this was the only chick that would actually walk towards an outstretched hand and jump on instead of running away from it. So unless you start with Isa browns I suspect you'll never get further than breeding the second-best companion breed.

My suggestion for the first generation would be a silkie rooster over isa browns. The chicks will be sexable at hatch as the females will have blue legs and skin and the males yellow/white. Also the Silkie is probably the most pet-like of the heritage breeds and will bring back some natural instincts such as broodiness. Maybe cross those to Aracaunas or Polish.. I dunno anything with that crested boofy head. Not sure what crests do to a chickens personality but they sure do make humans adore them.

Just a crazy thought I had reading through this thread. But what if personality is genetically passed from the rooster but behavior is learned?
Welcome to BYC! :frow
Please hit us up on the new member thread to get a proper welcome to our flock! Sorry I can't comment much on behavior issues as I cull for it. My Silkie roos have an expiration date on their heads once my straight run of 5 new Sumatra take charge of their lead cockerel/rooster jobs. Don't get me wrong about silkies I enjoy watching my hens immensely. Just this current lot of roosters fail my greatest need and that is a willingness to challenge avian predators to save their hens.

I have a light Sussex hen and she’s super friendly. Leghorns are scared of humans and I have one of those too! So if you want a friendly chicken I’d go with the Sussex breed!!! 👍🏻

Just a crazy thought I had reading through this thread. But what if personality is genetically passed from the rooster but behavior is learned?
I don't think that is a crazy thought at all. Semantics aside, I think you are right. Aggression is definitely genetic and behavior is definitely learned.

Back
Top Bottom