Breed Identifying

Sep 25, 2018
So over this summer, I got 4 hens from this ad at my local feed store. An even had them for about 4 months now and I've been wondering what breeds are they, or if they are mixed chickens. So I'm 99% sure that one of them is an RIR because she looks so much like my others. One whose name is Lil'Blue I'm thinking she's an Easter Egger or some other blue/green laying egg chicken. I also have 2 roos that my neighbor gave me.
Heres Lil'Blue
IMG_3020 (1).jpg
IMG_3019.jpg
IMG_3024 (1).jpg

Heres the 2 mystery breeds - the first one has laid any eggs yet I'm thinking because her body has been focused on growing feathers because when be bought them she had a bareback, Also she has what looks like spurs though it hough spurs only grew on roosters does anyone know if hens can grow spurs? Also, will she grow eggs after she finishes regrowing her feathers?
IMG_3011.jpg
IMG_3014.jpg
IMG_3008.jpg
IMG_3010 (1).jpg
IMG_3009 (1).jpg
(It used to be MUCH bare-er)
The second hen didn't have feather damage/loss and has been laying Lrg-XLrg eggs with 2 yolks except she only lays 3-4 eggs a week. she also has a smaller bump like spurs.
IMG_3022.jpg
IMG_3021 (1).jpg
IMG_3025 (1).jpg

Left is a Barred rock, Right is the mystery hen.
The following are my roos the red one I'm pretty sure is a RIR its the second in not sure of.
IMG_3023.jpg
<---His Names Watermelon
IMG_3015.jpg
IMG_2992.jpg

Any help and feedback are greatly appreciated.

Hens can have spurs and I know that some breeds of chickens like the Polish and the Silkie all have spurs. However black sex links should not have hens with spurs and your 2nd and 3rd birds do very much look like sex links. So I'm thinking maybe #2 is a rooster? Either that or she is just an oddball who happened to grow some.

Thx for the feedback but I doubt the 2nd bird is a rooster mainly because the lady I bought her from told me they were about a year and a half old.

Also, can hens still lay at a year and a half of age? and If I were to breed the hens with the bump like spurs would they show up their chicks?

I'm not sure if she would pass the trait on or not. I don't know if that's a gene that works like that. Hens can still lay at a year and a half old I believe. Mine started laying at a little less than a year old as I recall.

Back
Top Bottom