Breed question...

nuttyredhead

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2010
Southern NH
Another question! When I ordered my flock i ordered 2 production reds and i got 3. But now im not sure that one is that! She is much darker than the other 2 almost a burgundy color. I hope the pictures show the colors enough. Any ideas?

Here she is
DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

And here is the production red.
DSC_0116-1.jpg

The first hen does look more like a standard RIR while the others look like a cross of a RIR "production red".

What is the difference between a production red, RIR and red sex link? The production reds look very close to a RIR to me...
I understand that Red Sex links are a cross with a RIR or New Hampshire Rooster and a Delaware or other white hen breed.
Are the production reds just a cross of RIR, New Hampshire Red etc. to get a production hen without the objective of having a sex link variety?

Just wondering, if anyone has a better understanding?

She's actually RIR. The yellow legs, the longer body shape and deep red color. Nice bird, actually. Much truer to type.

Production reds are blends. Yes, there is often RIR and NH blood, lots of it, but way back when, those lines got "spiced up" with outside blood of Leghorn or other top layer crosses. There are no breed police running around handing out tickets to the hatcheries. They call stuff all kinds of things, make up names, right and left. Cinnamon Queen, Golden Buff, Red Star, New Hampshire Red (the breed is just New Hampshire) Golden Comets, Tetra Tint, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Fred's Hens :

She's actually RIR. The yellow legs, the longer body shape and deep red color. Nice bird, actually. Much truer to type.

Production reds are blends. Yes, there is often RIR and NH blood, lots of it, but way back when, those lines got "spiced up" with outside blood of Leghorn or other top layer crosses. There are no breed police running around handing out tickets to the hatcheries. They call stuff all kinds of things, make up names, right and left. Cinnamon Queen, Golden Buff, Red Star, New Hampshire Red (the breed is just New Hampshire) Golden Comets, Tetra Tint, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Thank you so much for the info!!! From everyone! She really is a beauty, and Im glad to know what she is!!!​

Back
Top Bottom