Breeders/hatcheries Utah

We appreciate those interested in getting chick's from us. I do want to respond to the posts on here just to give a fair response. This started as a hobby, incubating in a small table top incubator with a neighbors fertile eggs as hatch projects back from 2012. We didn't ever expect it to grow into more than hatching out a couple batches as a hobby. We definitely learned a lot on how to do things better, be cleaner, biosecurity procedures, and getting our eggs from a cleaner source. New for 2016 sesson, we've built a new barn and only get eggs from NPIP certified sources to guarantee the health. Like some of the posts said there's no way to say any sickness came from us. We don't vaccinate our chick's and we make that known so even a bird flying over head could drop who knows what in your yard and your chicken could catch something but it's better than feeding vaccinated chicken eggs to your family, kinda defeats the whole purpose of doing them yourself. The main lady "lookingforchick" that said the first big post was upset that I wasn't responding to her emails while I was in the hospital having my baby which I responded within 12 hours of when she picked up her chicks, yip I let her come while I was in labor along with about 25 other people cuz that was hatch pick up day, I was running around getting ready to go to the hospital, getting my boys dressed etc so I could see how it could have looked. She let her chick get too cold and yes it didn't make it so she was pretty furious and even after letting her know I was in the hospital having my baby she calmed down some and I offered to let her get a replacement which she didn't pick up or notify me she wasn't going to pick up till days later, almost a week after they hatched. I do what I can, I learn from my mistakes and help others know how to do it better too. We appreciate feedback because we do care. We've gotten really good feedback this year and am excited for the growth. Please feel free to send any comments to me at [email protected]. Thank you!

Update, currently losing my third hen from the flock purchased here. I do have babies - vaccinated babies so time will tell.

Chase hatchery in Utah is amazing !! I love the exotic breeds they offer !! I bought the majority of my flock from her. Zero issues. Way way impressed with the breeds she carries !! Always got back to me and I called a lot !! Very friendly cute family business. Love chase hatchery !!

Had my chicken necropsied at a diagnostic lab which confirmed the suspected Mareks or leukosis.

Last edited:
I wish I could've afforded getting mine checked but all 4 died of the same thing and it was all signs of Mareks. I currently have my 2 older girls who so far have survived this and got 4 chicks in February. I now have no choice and have to buy vaccinated chicks from the feed store. So far everyone is healthy but they are coming up to point of lay on a couple of them and this is when the Mareks showed up on my last 4. Doing everything I can to ensure the healthiest happiest flock I can. It makes one wonder why Chase Hatchery is building s new barn after they put in a new shed and run 2 years ago and why now they are changing up where they get their eggs from. Also the fact that Luvpolish has only posted 2 times on backyard chickens and it's to praise Chase Hatchery.
Buying local is great, but just beware where you buy from. I'd advise inspecting the facility and seeing the chicks in person before purchasing as well as talking to the owner and making sure they know their stuff. These are live animals and should be treated with care and not the conditions I saw 2 summers in a row. Also, the comment about "what's the point of having chickens if they're vaccinated?" Is upsetting to those who are dealing with this awful disease and watching it destroy their beloved flocks. I now have no choice in the matter.

Interestingly, I learned that the second most likely disease that it could have been (I didn't do DNA testing) is leukosis. Leukosis can pass from mother to baby via egg production (not to humans). They tend to die from this at ages older than 18 weeks. If you got your babies from a certified Leukosis free hatchery (one of the bigger hatcheries) your flock will probably be OK. From what I understand Marek's tends to kill very young chicks. . . all of my deaths were in birds aged 18 weeks and older. So, I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope that's what I'm dealing with. If that's the case, Chase should really look into their egg origins.

Also, I concur. . .her statement about "why vaccinate" is misleading, bad information about vaccines, and wrong and a HUGE red flag.

Didn't she say they changed where they got their eggs from and that now it's from certified disease free breeders? Again makes ya wonder how much she knows. I'm so hoping that it's the Leukosis and not Mareks too. All my pullets were coming in to lay when they were struck down, one by one. I got my chicks from IFA, so hopefully all goes well. Thankfully the feed stores are getting in a wider variety of chickens so I can get some fun breeds. If I' make it through their first eggs, I'll feel great relief.

Back
Top Bottom