breeding 55 Flowery Leghorns

Pics

Del Boy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 21, 2012
I like the appearance of this very rare breed but I can,t seem to source any. So I wondered would it be possible to create my own line by adding the mottled gene to Cream Legbars using my Anconas.Any idea how best to go about it ,how many generations would it take
Thanks

I like the appearance of this very rare breed but I can,t seem to source any. So I wondered would it be possible to create my own line by adding the mottled gene to Cream Legbars using my Anconas.Any idea how best to go about it ,how many generations would it take
Thanks
I have been wondering the same thing. I have the 'recipe' saved somewhere that would call for a light brown leghorn, barred leghorn, and ancona. I was laying in bed the other night thinking about my legbars and where I want to go with them, then the idea of the fifty-five flowery came to mind again and it seems like it would be easy enough. The strain made with legbars would most likely retain the blue eggs but it's no big deal

I've had the same problem finding some of these. I found the gold mille fleur leghorns and am breeding those, but still looking for the 55-flowery leghorns. Here is a 'recipe' I found for them that I saved. I don't really understand it all, so would welcome any discussion. I don't have the Legbar so I would be more interested in creating them from Leghorns.

The 55-Flowery Leghorn has the following sex-linked genes
1. Sex-linked Barring (B);
2. Sex-linked Silver (S);
3. Sex-linked Fast-feathering (k+).
Males have 2 of each of these genes because they have 2 Z chromosomes. Females have only 1 dose of each of these genes on a single Z chromosome and 1 w chromosome. The dosage difference of B/B, S/S of the males makes the day-old male chick much lighter than the female which has only one dose of B/-w, S/-w on the wild type (e+/e+) and mottled (mo/mo) baby chick color.

It also has the following autosomal genes:
1. e+/e+ (wild type)[chipmunk stripe] Brown Leghorn Coloring;
2. mo/mo recessive mottling.

After asking around it seems that a Legbar cockeral over an Ancona hen would be the best way yo start. Then it would be a matter of crossing the off spring for a couple of generations to fix the recessive mottled gene and the chipmunk markings on the chicks.

Did you create the 55 flowery hens? If yes please let me know because I would like to buy a dozen eggs. Otherwise I'm thinking about buying a few from green fire farms but they are kind of pricey. Please let me know Sammy

Back
Top Bottom