Breeding and Raising and Hatching of Barnyard Chickens!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have any barnyard chickens?

• Yes and I love to breed them

Votes: 93 57.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • No and I'm glad

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 7.4%

• Total voters

Just wanted to share this here since this was the thread that inspired me to hatch my barnyard mixes back in March! This is Odysseus(L), a Silver Sebright and his son Memnoch(R), a Silver Sebright/Golden Laced Polish mix. I haven't been able to get them this close to each other since Mem started to attack Ody every chance he got, so I was surprised to see that Mem wasn't that much taller than Ody (I thought he was). However, he definitely has more weight on him than his old man.

And here's Ody and the other mix that hatched in March, Mercury! She's slightly heavier than both the Polish and Ody. It's been a great experiment to see what the combination of Sebright and Polish would result in and to watch how they've developed and changed over the past 6 months. I'm debating hatching some more mixes for next spring, but the fighting between Ody and Mem has me leaning towards not hatching more. We'll see what happens after winter!

Just wanted to share this here since this was the thread that inspired me to hatch my barnyard mixes back in March! This is Odysseus(L), a Silver Sebright and his son Memnoch(R), a Silver Sebright/Golden Laced Polish mix. I haven't been able to get them this close to each other since Mem started to attack Ody every chance he got, so I was surprised to see that Mem wasn't that much taller than Ody (I thought he was). However, he definitely has more weight on him than his old man.

And here's Ody and the other mix that hatched in March, Mercury! She's slightly heavier than both the Polish and Ody. It's been a great experiment to see what the combination of Sebright and Polish would result in and to watch how they've developed and changed over the past 6 months. I'm debating hatching some more mixes for next spring, but the fighting between Ody and Mem has me leaning towards not hatching more. We'll see what happens after winter!
They've always been beautiful and haven't outgrown it!

Check out the dark legs on this goldish barnyard mix! Her mom is silver.

Another mix whose mom is also silver.

These are 2 of the 5 chicks that hatched from my first flock this year. They hatched 9/29 so that makes them 3 weeks old today.

Just found this thread and so happy there are people out there that love "barnyard" chickens as much as I do! I really have enjoyed going through these pictures and seeing just what new breeds different people "concoct" :) I just hatched the 4th generation of my barnyard mutts, and am weirdly proud of them, even though some are a mix of 5 or 6 different breeds. There's just something that seems super special about raising a chicken that is kind of "your own" breed, and I love being surprised with new feather patterns/body shapes as they grow! There's not one that's exactly alike :)

Just found this thread and so happy there are people out there that love "barnyard" chickens as much as I do! I really have enjoyed going through these pictures and seeing just what new breeds different people "concoct" :) I just hatched the 4th generation of my barnyard mutts, and am weirdly proud of them, even though some are a mix of 5 or 6 different breeds. There's just something that seems super special about raising a chicken that is kind of "your own" breed, and I love being surprised with new feather patterns/body shapes as they grow! There's not one that's exactly alike :)
That's what I like, they are all so different and there's an element of surprise. I like pures too and would like a few more, but I can't imagine breeding all of one breed and having a variety. To each their own, it just bores me...lol I'd have to have a large farm dedicated to chickens so I could have a trio of at least 20 different breeds.

Back
Top Bottom