Breeding and Raising and Hatching of Barnyard Chickens!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have any barnyard chickens?

• Yes and I love to breed them

Votes: 93 57.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • No and I'm glad

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 7.4%

• Total voters

So, my 2 barnyard mixes are just over 3 months old now and I thought I'd share their progress here since I'm super proud of how they're developing and don't really have anywhere else to share them.

Both seem to have taken the size of their mothers instead of being bantams like their father. Memnoch ended up with a large split comb, while Mercury ended up with a rose comb. They both like to raise and lower their partial crests kind of like the hackles on a dog (Memnoch can actually flare up the feathers of his crest and the feathers straight down his neck like a huge mohawk, as well as flaring out his entire neck when he gets chippy). Both are developing just the slightest light brown shine in the whites of some of their feather and the black has a purple and green shine.

Memnoch's still very nice with me and lets me handle him. Mercury would rather not be handled but is okay when I do catch her up. She's definitely the more dominate one and has made herself the top hen of the flock they made with the 3 other chicks I got a month after they hatched.

The integration with their parent flock is going slowly but smoothly. Father and son got into it a lot early on, but now Odysseus just flaps his wings at Memnoch and herd the hens away from him when Memnoch tries to get fresh with them.

So, my 2 barnyard mixes are just over 3 months old now and I thought I'd share their progress here since I'm super proud of how they're developing and don't really have anywhere else to share them.

Both seem to have taken the size of their mothers instead of being bantams like their father. Memnoch ended up with a large split comb, while Mercury ended up with a rose comb. They both like to raise and lower their partial crests kind of like the hackles on a dog (Memnoch can actually flare up the feathers of his crest and the feathers straight down his neck like a huge mohawk, as well as flaring out his entire neck when he gets chippy). Both are developing just the slightest light brown shine in the whites of some of their feather and the black has a purple and green shine.

Memnoch's still very nice with me and lets me handle him. Mercury would rather not be handled but is okay when I do catch her up. She's definitely the more dominate one and has made herself the top hen of the flock they made with the 3 other chicks I got a month after they hatched.

The integration with their parent flock is going slowly but smoothly. Father and son got into it a lot early on, but now Odysseus just flaps his wings at Memnoch and herd the hens away from him when Memnoch tries to get fresh with them.
Beautiful.

This is my latest hatch. My favorite and only one who got a close up. It is the bird I have been trying to get. Its a Blue Splash SQ Standar Cochin roo over a Golden laced EE!!! I cant wait now maybe I'll have some pretty birds to show off!

These r the rest of the chicks from that hatch.

Thank you. If someone would have told me a year ago that I'd hatch and fall in love with 2 chickens, I would have asked them if they were high. Animals! They just work their way into your heart. :)
If anyone told me a year ago I'd be having anything to do with chicks I'd think they were high...lol I used to tone my sister (the chick raiser) out every time the word "chicken" came out of her mouth.....lol It's all her fault.

If anyone told me a year ago I'd be having anything to do with chicks I'd think they were high...lol I used to tone my sister (the chick raiser) out every time the word "chicken" came out of her mouth.....lol It's all her fault.
I still feel that way and its been five years! I have always been an animal person but never one for birds. That all changed. My six hatch of the year is just finishing up and I cant believe how lovable these little things are. You think chicken math is bad I have Chicken, Duck and Goose math!

My show girl eggs are in lock-down. Hatch day today. One silkie is out two other showgirl or silkie eggs piped!
celebrate.gif

I still feel that way and its been five years! I have always been an animal person but never one for birds. That all changed. My six hatch of the year is just finishing up and I cant believe how lovable these little things are. You think chicken math is bad I have Chicken, Duck and Goose math!

My show girl eggs are in lock-down. Hatch day today. One silkie is out two other showgirl or silkie eggs piped!
celebrate.gif
I can't wait to see them!

Back
Top Bottom