Breeding area and clipping wing feathers

Baybrio

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 11, 2008
Poplar Grove, IL
Need some opinions on setting up a breeding area for one tom and three hens.

I currently have all my turkeys free ranging on my farm. They roost in the barn, on corral panels (not my idea), the hens sometimes are in the rafters. I want to hatch out some of my recessive blue Narragansetts. I have a 10x 22 area made of dog kennel panels in the barn/run in area so there is plenty of light and air but no grass. The roof is also covered with dog kennel panels. I would say a determined predator could tunnel in but otherwise it's pretty secure.

I was planning on putting the 4 in this setup but am now thinking it's not enough room.

I could extend the pen out another 10x20 or so feet using a greenhouse frame (looks like about $250 on Amazon) and netting. Or I could clip their wings and set up my electric netting (free) which will give them a lot more room during the day.

Downside of the netting would be my chocolate hens might jump in. I can't clip their wings because they free range. If the chocolate hens jump in I might end up with eggs from the chocolate hens and the blue tom giving me black turkeys which I'd have to sell.

My questions 1) is 10x22 with no grass sufficient for a few months? 2) will the electric netting work at keeping my blue group in and the free ranging chocolates out?

Not sure the electric netting would work in that situation; hens can be determined to get out and hide their nests. I do have breeding pens and if I remember correctly are 20'x30' maybe slightly larger all covered in netting to keep hens in and others out. I have 1 Tom and up to 4 hens usually 3 in those. I collect their eggs for incubating until I have what I need then leave eggs and let a hen go broody and remove other birds after that. You need a nesting spot in enclosure that the hens feel hidden in, and Toms can't access, or they will try breeding hen on nest and hurt sitting hen and damage/break eggs. I use 1 large doghouse for nesting box in each pen and they all lay in that, the Toms don't enter them at all. A few pics to give you an idea of what works for me.
IMG_0574.JPG
IMG_0576.JPG
IMG_0578.JPG
IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0260.JPG

My questions 1) is 10x22 with no grass sufficient for a few months? 2) will the electric netting work at keeping my blue group in and the free ranging chocolates out?
That is small but may work for a short period. How many poults you wanting to hatch out? Are you going to incubate eggs or try to let hens hatch them?

Last edited:
Huntmaster, I was afraid the electric wouldn't work.

Your setup is very nice, great size. I have a few questions. Are you using welded wire for fencing? Did you attach the netting to the top of the fence? Lastly are you using straw on the ground or are you keeping the grass growing?

I have igloo dog houses I can use as nesting boxes, or I can build boxes. The nesting area will be in the barn area so I can shut them in at night.

One more question what variety are your lovely gray/ blue/ slate birds?

In small pens thing is with trying to let them all hatch their own eggs is they tend to make one large nest, and all try to sit it and it usually don't have great hatch rates, but it can work.
I didn't realize that. I've only had free range before. These girls are big, at least compared to the chocolate hens.

Back
Top Bottom