Breeding Barred Plymouth Rocks together.

Rodsent

Hatching
Feb 11, 2022
If I were to breed a Barred Plymouth Rock with another Barred Plymouth Rock, will the offspring be the same? I've heard they are a hybrid of a Dominique male with Black Cochin female. I've breed Golden sex links together which are a hybrid of a Rhode Island red and a white, and the offspring wasn't all that great, people told me they would lay just like their parents when in reality that was not true at all.

That's what I was thinking but it does say on WIKI that Barred Rocks are a hybrid.

The Plymouth Rock was first shown in Boston in 1849, but was then not seen for another twenty years.[2] In 1869, in Worcester, Massachusetts, one D.A. Upham cross-bred some Black Java hens with a cock with barred plumage and a single comb; he selectively bred for barred plumage and clean (featherless) legs.[6]: 68  His birds were shown in Worcester in 1869; the modern Plymouth Rock is thought to derive from them.[2] Other people have been associated with the development of the Plymouth Rock, as have other chicken breeds including the Brahma, the Cochin (both white and buff), the Dominique, and the White-faced Black Spanish.[2] According to the Livestock Conservancy, it originated from cross-breeding of Java birds with single-combed Dominiques;[7] or, based on genomic analysis, principally from the Dominique, with substantial contribution from the Java and Cochin and some input from other breeds.[8][9]
Chicken breeds are created by mixing different breeds together. The crosses recorded on Wikipedia are from many years ago, referring to the creation of the breed. After many generations, barred rocks breed true and are no longer considered a mix or hybrid.

From what I read, the Dominique and the Plymouth Rock are the same bird, except the Dominique has a rose comb while the Rock has a single comb.
Screenshot_20221129_162234.jpg

From what I read, the Dominique and the Plymouth Rock are the same bird, except the Dominique has a rose comb while the Rock has a single comb.
I don't think that is entirely correct. Yes, Barred Plymouth Rocks and Dominiques have differing combs; however, they are not the "same bird." Different breeds entirely.

Barred rocks are a true breed all offspring would be barred rocks. Black sexlinks are a mix of barred and some other breed
That's what I was thinking but it does say on WIKI that Barred Rocks are a hybrid.

The Plymouth Rock was first shown in Boston in 1849, but was then not seen for another twenty years.[2] In 1869, in Worcester, Massachusetts, one D.A. Upham cross-bred some Black Java hens with a cock with barred plumage and a single comb; he selectively bred for barred plumage and clean (featherless) legs.[6]: 68  His birds were shown in Worcester in 1869; the modern Plymouth Rock is thought to derive from them.[2] Other people have been associated with the development of the Plymouth Rock, as have other chicken breeds including the Brahma, the Cochin (both white and buff), the Dominique, and the White-faced Black Spanish.[2] According to the Livestock Conservancy, it originated from cross-breeding of Java birds with single-combed Dominiques;[7] or, based on genomic analysis, principally from the Dominique, with substantial contribution from the Java and Cochin and some input from other breeds.[8][9]

Back
Top Bottom