Breeding chickens

MillietheHen

Songster
Nov 10, 2020
So I have a flock of 7 hens and 8 pullets/cockerels. I’m planning on keeping one cockerel so I can hatch my own chicks next year. The pullets/cockerels are from one of my hens and a rooster I used to have. My question is since their related should I not hatch eggs from the mom and siblings? I don’t know a lot about genetics and I was concerned about inbreeding so if anyone knows feel free to educate me.

From what you describe none of the original flock/parents were related or perhaps not even the same breed. The genetic diversity in that is vast. It takes many generations of narrowing the gene pool before vitality/hatchability is affected.

Just think about the centuries it took of royal inbreeding across Europe to give us hemophilia. Inbreeding in chickens is only different than humans in that generations are annual instead of every 16-20 years.

From what you describe none of the original flock/parents were related or perhaps not even the same breed. The genetic diversity in that is vast. It takes many generations of narrowing the gene pool before vitality/hatchability is affected.

Just think about the centuries it took of royal inbreeding across Europe to give us hemophilia. Inbreeding in chickens is only different than humans in that generations are annual instead of every 16-20 years.
It is also different because diseases that would crop up in genetics are selected against. It is bad in humans because humans are always marrying nonrelatives, therefore, hiding any recessives they may carry.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/inbreeding-not-as-bad-as-it-may-seem.74335/
Here is an article I wrote about inbreeding.

Thank you! Good to know!

Back
Top Bottom