Breeding Coturnix quail

Mine don't sit on their eggs but I have seen other people's do it. It seems to be more likely in a planted aviary. If its something you DON'T want to happen then I would say, no worries, its pretty unlikely. If you do want to breed them then you want an incubator and brooder to have reliable results.

i hatched about 5 dozen eggs from a local breeder and all hatched but a few. they are great layers, they lay best from april till october. when they are born, when they get dry they are ready to run. after a few hours old they will jump out of the incubator onto the floor and start running! i reccomend you get these. make sure you keep them warm, they are about the size of marbles

Last edited:
I have a question on chick color. We have hatched so far this week about 38 Jumbo Pharoah Quail. One of the is extremely dark with black feet, except one toe that is pink. Is this one a Tuxedo? You can see the dark chick in these photos.

47716_dark_texas_jumbo_pharoah_quail_2.jpg

47716_dark_texas_jumbo_pharoah_quail_1.jpg

47716_dark_and_regular_texas_jumbo_pharoah_quail_2.jpg

47716_dark_and_regular_texas_jumbo_pharoah_quai_1l.jpg

47716_texas_jumbo_pharoah_quail_1.jpg

I ain't about to get into they will brood or not debate but

Mine lay eggs when it is way below 60. I keep lights on but no added heat...well...not enough that when it is really cold the waters still get solid...

tuxedos will have yellow baby feathers that turn white...looks more tibetan but it is a little hard to see...it might be a partial

They will go broody, but most times only if you create a natural environment for them that mimics what occurs in nature. I've seen them with babies in tow in zoo's where they are enclosed but where their is grass growing, trees growing, etc. If you plan on raising them in wire cages, coops, etc. most will not go broody at all.

I have a planted aviary and have had 2 hens go broody and half the eggs did hatch.

Quote:
You are the hands down smartest person on the face of the planet, because debating coturnix broodiness only leads to grief. I'm not doing that again....ever!

I can't identify buttons, because I don't know about them, but the last pic looks like about 30 or so brown coturnix mixed with other coturnix colors.

one time i was feeding my coturnix quail, a female flew right out of the pen and never did find her. after a couple of weeks she came back with about 7 babies. I was soooo surprised!!!!! i found her nest up in the field under a thorn bush. she dug her hole out and put hay in it. SOOOO NEAT!!!! I took her and the babies and put them back in the pen w/ the others and she raised them up!

Back
Top Bottom