Breeding genetics advice needed for lavender

Connoisseurchick

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 21, 2018
I am new to this site so I will do my best. I was excited to get a lavender roo and in isabel lavender orpington hen Thinking I will get a lot more if I bred them together , After reading some previous threads about genetics, I know. I will need more than five minutes to grasp Everything. I'm trying to absorb it. I saved the info To my phone So I can look over it and study it, But in short, If I want more lavenders, What partners Should I get for them if not each other? Thanks

Attachments

• 20231021_161136.jpg
    20231021_161136.jpg
    828.1 KB · Views: 46
I am new to this site so I will do my best. I was excited to get a lavender roo and in isabel lavender orpington hen Thinking I will get a lot more if I bred them together , After reading some previous threads about genetics, I know. I will need more than five minutes to grasp Everything. I'm trying to absorb it. I saved the info To my phone So I can look over it and study it, But in short, If I want more lavenders, What partners Should I get for them if not each other? Thanks
Welcome to BYC!! :frow

Did you see this thread? I think it explains it. I have another thread I use for my silkies that does not have lavender in it though.

Welcome to BYC! She does not look Isabel, she looks cuckoo.

She does not look Isabel, she looks cuckoo.
If he is solid lavender, and she is lavender cuckoo, then breeding them together will give solid lavender daughters and lavender cuckoo sons.

If you have been reading other thread you may already know this:

--lavender is a recessive gene that dilutes other colors (black becomes gray, red/gold becomes yellow or cream-colored, white stays white).

--That lavender dilution can happen on chickens that would otherwise be many different colors, and it gets called by different names. So a solid black chicken becomes a solid lavender chicken (usually just called "lavender.") A black chicken with white barring becomes a "lavender cuckoo" chicken. A chicken with certain patterns of red/gold and black is turned into an "Isabella" chicken. A chicken with the Mille Fleur pattern becomes a "Porcelain" chicken.

--For breeding predictions, you need to understand how the recessive lavender gene works, and then figure out what underlying colors & patterns are present and how they interact.

I think you are working with base colors of solid black (rooster) and black with white barring (hen), but it's always a little hard to tell from pictures, and there is also the chance that they may be carrying recessive genes for various other color combinations. Breeding them together will produce chicks that are pure for the lavender gene, but I can't be sure what other color/pattern genes may pop up in a cross. So they might produce some lavender-diluted chicks with different (unexpected) base colors.

If he is solid lavender, and she is lavender cuckoo, then breeding them together will give solid lavender daughters and lavender cuckoo sons.

If you have been reading other thread you may already know this:

--lavender is a recessive gene that dilutes other colors (black becomes gray, red/gold becomes yellow or cream-colored, white stays white).

--That lavender dilution can happen on chickens that would otherwise be many different colors, and it gets called by different names. So a solid black chicken becomes a solid lavender chicken (usually just called "lavender.") A black chicken with white barring becomes a "lavender cuckoo" chicken. A chicken with certain patterns of red/gold and black is turned into an "Isabella" chicken. A chicken with the Mille Fleur pattern becomes a "Porcelain" chicken.

--For breeding predictions, you need to understand how the recessive lavender gene works, and then figure out what underlying colors & patterns are present and how they interact.

I think you are working with base colors of solid black (rooster) and black with white barring (hen), but it's always a little hard to tell from pictures, and there is also the chance that they may be carrying recessive genes for various other color combinations. Breeding them together will produce chicks that are pure for the lavender gene, but I can't be sure what other color/pattern genes may pop up in a cross. So they might produce some lavender-diluted chicks with different (unexpected) base colors.
Thank you.I just discovered this response.I really don't understand any of it LOL are there good tutorials or videos on youtube

Thank you.I just discovered this response.I really don't understand any of it LOL are there good tutorials or videos on youtube
Are there any particular parts you want me to explain?

The most basic answer was in my first sentence:
"If he is solid lavender, and she is lavender cuckoo, then breeding them together will give solid lavender daughters and lavender cuckoo sons."

That can be re-phrased as: from this cross, sons will probably look like the mother, daughters will probably look like the father.

For the rest, it's there if you want to study and learn more, but if you are just starting to learn genetics I know it is an awful lot to try to take in at once.

I don't know if there are good tutorials on youtube or not. Probably, but I can't say which ones.
This website has some chicken-specific genetics information:
http://www.sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page0.html
That page has links to several others. The first one has basic genetics information, the second talks about some chicken-specific genes, the third has a table of genes with a little bit of information about each one. (That table of genes will probably not make any sense right now.)

Back
Top Bottom