Breeding Peafowl

Shanpatel

Hatching
Jan 9, 2016
Hi Everyone,
One of my main concerns, and my purpose of posting this thread is to leaen more about breeding peafowl in spacific colors. I would like to breed peach and cameo peafowl. If there are any breeders or anyone who can guide me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Shan

First, purchase a mature Peach and Cameo male these can be bred to make you a lot of peach hens and split peach males and Cameo. Then we can go from there after you get your males... George connerhills.com

I have a Peach hen and a Cameo male but unfortunately, my Peach hen lays only 1 or 2 eggs a year and they are never viable. I put other hens in with my Cameo peacock to make sure he was doing his job and he did but the Peach hen must not be doing her part very well. I think she is just one of those that is not a good breeder and that is okay, she can remain a pet. I just like having different colors.

As I understand it, if you want to produce Peach you start with a Purple cock and breed a Cameo hen. The IB looking cocks will be split Purple and Cameo and when bred to a Purple hen, (in three years), should produce Peach. I produced a few of the IB cocks this year and will keep one or two for future use, the rest are needing a home.

Not everybody is able to create the peach colour .... especially a " new egg " ! .... it takes 10 years !
For many people it 's already very difficult to raise peacocks!
I would suggest first to choose either the Peach .... or the Cameo.
We must not breed them together ... they are mutations too close to each other!
Already to find the true Peach .... it's a full time job !

Hi Everyone,
One of my main concerns, and my purpose of posting this thread is to leaen more about breeding peafowl in spacific colors. I would like to breed peach and cameo peafowl. If there are any breeders or anyone who can guide me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Shan

Welcome to byc you will find a wealth of info here. Keep doing what your doing and have fun doing it. A lot of the color and pattern mutations were happened on by chance and whether a breeder did it or someone found a different pattern/color from someones farm thats off the peafowl grid. There are more colors and mutations being developed as we speak but, it takes time. One thing for sure, you will find the correct info on this forum as there are many "heavy hitters" here that have forgot more than I know. Great ongoing info here, please keep us posted on your project, we like projects.

Gerald Barker

I wish I had more colors to use but I only have the one Peach hen, no males for her. One Cameo peacock, no hens for him. One Purple peacock and only a 6 month old daughter out of him.

I do have IB hens (2 are BS, the rest are barred wing), Opal hens, a pied hen, Bronze hens and peacocks in IB, Bronze and silver pied.

I need to figure out who to breed to whom this go around. I like trying to make new colors but I also have to hatch and sell some to help pay for their feed and materials. I try to make sure I can show a little income from my hobby so I sell as many IBs as possible. Most folks like those best anyhow. But the projects are something I love to do, too. I keep really good records but I am approaching the older years and I hope to see a lot of this through.

Back
Top Bottom