Breeding Salmon Faverolle

Crazy_Beautiful

Songster
Nov 12, 2021
South Central Ontario
I'm in Ontario and this breed just is so hard to find.

I'm just a backyand chicken hobbyist but decided last winter to breed 1 variety. I chose Salmon Faverolle as they are winter hardy and I read that they are a threatened species.

I found had 8 hens last year and 1 rooster from 2 different places. 1 homesteader and other hatchery. The hatchery ones did not look good to me at all. Not pure is my guess they were missing cheeks and were dirty looking. So I rehomed those ones.

My main question is my current roo is from the same farm as my hens... so possibly related. So I spent the winter tracking down hatching eggs to hatch out a new roo.

But becuase this breed is so hard to find what do I do when my hens phase out of laying or with the fact I'd like to add in more hens? If I hatch out my own and keep them won't I run into genetic problems? I've only managed to find 2 other people with this breed but I do recognize it's not spring and I may get lucky in the spring.

What is the typical process if the breed isn't hard to find do most just swap out roosters and keep hens?

You won’t run into genetic problems. There’s a lot of misunderstanding about inbreeding.
You shouldn’t get new blood unless you run into issues. Some people have bred the same families for decades without introducing new blood.
This is made possible through clan mating, but this is not the only way you can breed related birds.
Here is more information. https://cluckin.net/inbreeding-in-chickens.html
I have had to do an outcross in my d’Anvers before, but I don’t believe it was due to inbreeding. Rather, my cock was getting old and I couldn’t find any good replacement cockerels. Low fertility and hatchability forced me to buy a cockerel.
Try to avoid outcrossing if possible. It undos your breeding efforts and constant infusions of new blood means you will never develop your own unique strain.

I don’t know any reputable breeder that regularly swaps out roosters.
Congratulations on your aspirations, by the way. Salmon Faverolles need more dedication. I also appreciate you are focusing on one breed. It is enticing to do many, but feed, space, and your time and therefore the quantity and quality of your birds that you will be able to raise will thank you!

My main reason is my rooster is aggressive towards children.

I foremost don't want that for my family (3 kids that no longer can go in that coop) and I don't want that for others. As the breed is known to have non aggressive roosters I'm thinking he is just an anomaly.

He also has 1 curled toe ... his 5th toe so not causing any issues to him but don't want that coming up in future hatches it I can avoid it. Obviously very new to this.

And thank you for the kind words. Our SF are quite funny and while they're not my kids favourite my husband and I quite like them. And I like that I'm helping the breed by focusing on them

My main reason is my rooster is aggressive towards children.

I foremost don't want that for my family (3 kids that no longer can go in that coop) and I don't want that for others. As the breed is known to have non aggressive roosters I'm thinking he is just an anomaly.

He also has 1 curled toe ... his 5th toe so not causing any issues to him but don't want that coming up in future hatches it I can avoid it. Obviously very new to this.

And thank you for the kind words. Our SF are quite funny and while they're not my kids favourite my husband and I quite like them. And I like that I'm helping the breed by focusing on them
Oh yeah, I can see those are traits you wouldn’t want to breed into a family. Inbreeding can amplify traits like that.
Well, hopefully you find a good replacement rooster.

I am in Ontario and have Salmons if you are ever looking for new genetics! I’m done hatching this year but would be happy to get in touch as I’m looking for new birds as well!

Back
Top Bottom