Breeds for County Fair (Ontario)

Crazy_Beautiful

Songster
Nov 12, 2021
South Central Ontario
My kids (12,11 and 9) are so excited for this years fair.
Last year our fair finally had birds again and they were so upset we didn’t enter any for our flock.
They’ve been waiting for Chick days to come out to see what breeds are available to raise up some chicks to show themselves.

Our fair usually just has the chickens in cages nothing that kids have to do. But I do know that they are considering a more hands on approach for the kids this year where they’d show their bird a little. As in this is my beer and I named the chicken this.

My oldest is pretty good with chickens doesn’t get scared by flappy wings or anything.
My middle who is most excited can get scared. She loves chicks but as they get bigger she gets nervous. She was attacked by a Faverolle Roo we had.

Both kids asked for Silkies which yes super cute I’m not sure they’d integrate with our existing flock for well. Last year we had bantam Cochins which my middle loved but I hated they went broody all the time. I never had nesting box space for the girls that wanted to lay.

I breed Orpingtons but they are wanting something different.

Any ideas or should I just bite the bullet in regards to Silkies or Cochins? I want them to have this experience when they still have an interest

Buff Orpington’s are a great breed and are very calm and docile. Silkies and Cochins are also very calm and docile just like the Buff Orpingtons.
Docile breeds often get along extremely well so these breeds should mix together with no issues.

Buff Orpington’s are a great breed and are very calm and docile. Silkies and Cochins are also very calm and docile just like the Buff Orpingtons.
Docile breeds often get along extremely well so these breeds should mix together with no issues.
Should have clarified. I have 2 coops when is a coop my kids are allowed in whenever they want as there is no rooster. My Orpington coop only my oldest is allowed in. My rooster is beyond friendly and that scares the other 2. He will run for you for a pet lol.

The other coop right now is a mix of random breeds. Few barnyard mix that are aging out of laying. Sapphire Gems, Faverolles and E.E.

I love Cochins but really hated the broody part. Like all summer I had 2 that just sat in the nesting box despite me trying to break them of the broodiness.

I have also told them they can use the orpingtons but they want their own. They have been begging me to breed silkies lol

Should have clarified. I have 2 coops when is a coop my kids are allowed in whenever they want as there is no rooster. My Orpington coop only my oldest is allowed in. My rooster is beyond friendly and that scares the other 2. He will run for you for a pet lol.

The other coop right now is a mix of random breeds. Few barnyard mix that are aging out of laying. Sapphire Gems, Faverolles and E.E.

I love Cochins but really hated the broody part. Like all summer I had 2 that just sat in the nesting box despite me trying to break them of the broodiness.

I have also told them they can use the orpingtons but they want their own. They have been begging me to breed silkies lol
Silkies are a VERY broody breed. And it's not uncommon for them to go broody 3+ times a year.
So if you are against broody chickens they probably aren't the best choice.

Silkies and cochin bantams are known for their broodiness.
Orpingtons are great for showing and mine has only went broody once she will be 2 here soon.
Brahmas, Faverolles, Wyandottes.
I dont think Rosecomb bantams go broody often.

As long as the chicks are handled a ton they will be good for the fair

My Speckled Sussex are usually extremely mellow, along with Brahmas. They can be broody but not like a Cochin and definitely not like a Silkie. Oh and Turkens are super friendly also.

Back
Top Bottom