Polish and Flock Dynamics

Oh that's a fine ratio. You only need about 10:1
Maybe you will know this...? My roo is very mild and was not the alpha, who we had to cull due to extreme aggressive behavior. I'm not sure he's doing his job and I have been asked for hatching eggs. How long could the adjustment period be, before he is reliable mating the hens? I've started stimulating them when they squat, they only 8 months old and many have even stopped laying.

Maybe you will know this...? My roo is very mild and was not the alpha, who we had to cull due to extreme aggressive behavior. I'm not sure he's doing his job and I have been asked for hatching eggs. How long could the adjustment period be, before he is reliable mating the hens? I've started stimulating them when they squat, they only 8 months old and many have even stopped laying.
He may not mate them if they stopped laying. Once they start up again in the spring you can see if he’s doing the job.

How old is the rooster? Have you ever seen him mate with the hens?

How old is the rooster? I have found that older roosters tend to not want to breed much. Also, a rooster knows when a female is not laying and he is much less likely to mate them then because there's no purpose.

How old is the rooster? I have found that older roosters tend to not want to breed much. Also, a rooster knows when a female is not laying and he is much less likely to mate them then because there's no purpose.
He's only 8 months, I got them early April. He will chase my barred rocks across the whole yard. 😆 But seems not to bother many of the others, I've only seen him on one of my 14 opringtons.

First year flock owner here. I picked up 9 chicks and then about 2 months later I picked up 3 more. Two of them, a silkie and a polish were getting picked on in the brooder box I assume because they were smaller and new. The Amaracuana was getting picked on too but was larger and handled herself. I separated the two from the others.

At 8 weeks the older birds moved into their coop and run. During the day I’d take the other two out to the run, separate them with a dog gate and leave all the birds in the run all day. After a week I let them free range together. The Polish and silkie were bullied a little but my yard is big so they could avoid the other birds. It took about 2 months of this on a fairly consistent basis to get them to come together. Now they are one solid unit.

After doing a lot of reading on here I believe it’s due to them having a lot space in the run, space in the coop, several feeders and watering stations and getting time out to free range in the back yard. As long as they have space, food and water I think most birds will get along with each other. It eliminates things to fight over.

I have a mixed flock. Not a single one is a jerk. Some don’t like to be picked up but never an attack, good with kids and they hang out with my 80 pound Doberman.

My Polish is a goof, super sweet and gets along with all of my other birds. I think if she was raised with my other birds there wouldn’t have been any problems getting along.

Good luck!

My flock:
Rooster - Bantam Blue Sarama/Mix
Hens - Cochin x2, Barred Rock x2, Maran, Australorp, Ancona, Ameraucana, Wyandot, Silkie, Polish

I would give it some more time. Some roosters mature slower than others
That makes sense and being that time of year where it's cold and they're all going through those changes too. We only culled our other roo (who would 100% chase him off if he even thought of anything) 4 weeks ago.

He's only 8 months, I got them early April. He will chase my barred rocks across the whole yard. 😆 But seems not to bother many of the others, I've only seen him on one of my 14 opringtons.
If he's only eight month sold, he is not a rooster, he is a cockerel. Give your cockerel time to get more hormones and see what happens-he may grow into a rooster who doesn't breed regularly, or he may not.

Back
Top Bottom