Breeds for REALLY DARK brown eggs?

hypnojessi

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Troy, MO
I wasn't sure what subject to put this under so...

What breeds of chickens lay the really dark "chocolate" brown eggs?

McMurry doesn't seem to carry any. Any suggestions as to where I could get some pullets? (not straight run)

Marans ("cuckoo" colored especially) are well known for their dark eggshells. And McMurray does have them, http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/cuckoo_maran.html but straight run only.

I have two Cuckoo pullets and they are incredible birds -feathered out beautifully and are the largest of all my various breeds at 8 weeks. Can't wait for those "chocolate" eggs!

Good luck in your search!
smile.png

I'm sorry but I just have to chime in and say Cuckoo Marans especially have the palest egg color of all Marans colors, and Hatcheries offer the poorest for dark egg laying stock of all people.

The best most people get is a sweet-potato colored egg in most cases.

The darkest egg in my avatar comes from the darkest average, the Black Coppers, and in fact came from a breeder here on BYC.
smile.png

Barnevelders, Welsummers, Marans, Penedesenca, and Empordanesas all lay very dark brown eggs. The last two breeds are very rare but the others can be found with a little looking. Egg color is genetic an not all birds from these breeds lay very dark eggs. If you want really dark layers it would be best to find a good breeder who breeds for quality rather than quantity. A lot of these breeders sell hatching eggs, chicks, or adults at higher prices but I personally think the price is worth it to get quality stock. I'll give you list of breeders I've found or people on BYC have suggested.

www.reddirtchickenranch.com - marans in a few colors, reasonable prices and very helpful. I just ordered wyandotte chicks that should arrive in June.

www.bevsmarans.com - the best marans breeder I've found. Seems to have great birds but she has a long waiting list.

www.landoftobe.com - has marans

www.mothermastiff.com - has all the breeds listed except for barnevelders. Seems to have very good birds but is a bit pricey.

Barnevelders seem to be be hard to find but ideal hatchery has them, although they are sold out until next month.

Sorry about that. I do know NOW that different variety of Marans lay different shades of eggs. At the time, the hatcheries had only the Cuckoo variety,and I wasn't aware of all the other varieties and the color difference. I guess I've learned alot over the years. It seems that the Maran has come a long way and are more available. Last year I thought I would try it again and got a BCM with feather feet. I really love this egg color.

I guess I have had the darkest variety and the lightest variety and shouldn't compare to harshly. LOL

I do know this... the egg color shown in the hatchery catalog was no where near the color I was getting.

Back
Top Bottom