Breeds living together...

mommas chickens

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Spring Creek, NV
Ok so maybe I'm jumping the gun.lol. But I'm doing research to decide what breeds of chickens to add a few of to my flock next year. I have 2 buff orpingtons and 2 easter eggers my friend suggested Delawares, Brahmas or a bantam hen or 2. How well do these breeds do together and does any one have any other suggestions on gentle breeds that go well together? Thanks!!
smile.png

Rocks do well, self assertive yet not mean. Get along well with others though probably be top hen over the Orpintons. RIR's are a nice friendly bird too but when establishing pecking order can rougher than other breeds. Then you always have the Australorp which is a utility bird bred from Orpington. Honestly, it's best to think on a color then decide which breed attributes suit your personality.

I do know that just cause they are a bantam doesnt mean they will be nice to the other birds cause they are smaller. We had two bantam hens and they are the queens of the coop. In fact they were so mean to the other birds that we had to get rid of one of them. We gave it to a local 4-H member. so the moral is "small does not mean nice or gentle."
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom