Brinsea - IT'S HERE!!

equus2

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Near Antelope Island, Utah!!
wee.gif

I succumbed! I ordered the Brinsea and turner (the bator was $99, turner about $45...shipping was outrageous!)

It came today!

Anyone else use these? Reports?

I just recently bought the Brinsea ECO 20 with turner but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I have Cornish X in the brooder right now, and as soon as those graduate to the coop there's another batch of meaties goin' in the brooder.

I hope to incubate some turkey eggs soon. Let us know how you like it... at this rate I'm sure you'll have eggs in yours before I get mine fired up.

I have one. I'm on day 12. It's been rock solid on temp. Have a turner and it's been perfect.
I think you will love it.

Quote:
I bought a Bemis from Ace Hardware online that is pretty accurate. BUT I actually have the Advanced, not the ECO, so it has the digital read out on the temp and humidity.

Other than that it's the exact same machine.

I have one without the turner, I have 17 duck eggs on day 16. Temperature fluctuates about 0.2 degrees between day and night in the house.
I use a little white rectangular hygrometer from Walmart. Have had to add a little cloth that I soak with water each time I turn to keep humidity up since I don't want to close the vent all the way to keep air circulation up.
I have a thread on here somewhere about my experiences so far.

Thanks for advice! I've been using the same flukers for two years now. Nice in the beginning, but I think they are no longer reading accurately. Time to replace. Having a new super walmart one mile from my house is sad, but it's just TOO convenient.
roll.png

I've got 8 of my own eggs (Speckled Sussex and Barred Rock) in a Eco 20 right now. My first time.
big_smile.png
I'm not using a hygrometer - I'm following the average weight of the eggs, checking every 4-5 days, and adjusting the vent to try to keep the weight near the 'ideal' curve for poultry. The instructions indicated that this was the most reliable method for a successful hatch, so I thought, "What the heck, I'll try it out". I have a small, fairly accurate digital scale to weigh the eggs with. I even made a spreadsheet that plots the average weight versus time against the 'ideal' line (based on 13% weight loss) over the incubating period. I just type in the weights of each egg, and it calculates the average and plots the graph. OK, I'm a geek, I know.
tongue.png

We'll see how it works out. Temp is stable, so far I haven't gotten too far off the 'ideal' weight line, but I did let the incubator go dry a few days ago! That was early on so I'm hoping it's OK. I'm not really sure how far off is too far off. I'm being more careful about making sure there is water in there now, though.

Quote:
OOOOO, COOL. I would love you to start a thread about weighing the eggs. I read that in the instructions too but didn't have a scale that weighed in these increments. What are you using? did you have it on hand or have to buy?

Very impressed with your spreadsheet ability. Are you willing to email spreadsheet prototype for those of us that want to try this someday?

Love how geeky this is! The Brinsea instructions do recommend this as the BEST way to gage and regulate the humidity. Takes the guesswork out of the humidity part. I bet you have a great hatch. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom