Brinsea Maxi II EX or GQF 1588 Genesis Hova-Bator?

Shelf liner is generally considered okay since it's not solid. I won't use anything like actual towels or paper towels though. Honestly, I don't use anything at all anymore, I bought a plastic floor grid for mine. I used the wire bare too, it really doesn't hurt them.

@EggSighted4Life what other container do you use? I'm thinking of cutting some boards to simulate wells in the bottom so that I can use a tube to water it, hate the stupid tray.
For a while I used make shift foil boats. They worked well enough. Now I am using mostly old pill bottles or other small but deep containers.

I started using the wells for hatching after having too many chicks magically get inside some of my containers narrowly avoiding drowning.

So putting shelf liners over the water wells doesn't mess up the humidity?
Shelf liner is kinda holey letting humidity by easily. I DID struggle getting humidity up when I first started using paper towels. Most often my wells are completely full at lock down with a sponge sitting on top of the towels that I use a straw through the vent hole and drip water onto as needed. I have also experimented with paper towels wicking from a deeper container but was hard to keep it from going too fast and too high.

Nope... hatched them for about 3 years... go about 35% for the first 18 days. :)

ETA: humidity will stay the same for as long as you keep the water well with water in it.

Having better control over my numbers is one reason why I don't use the built in wells.

But with practice and experience in YOUR location... you will figure out the performance of the bator and learn to work with it and manipulate it to fit your criteria.
Hi, this is an old post, but I have a question. Are you saying that when hatching BCM eggs you go with a lower humidity the first 18 days? 35%? Very interesting. I may be about to hatch some for the first time. Do you bring humidity up to 65% or so for hatching?

Back
Top Bottom