broad breast bronze turkey

Elias grandma

Hatching
Sep 14, 2015
Purchased six baby turkeys in May. Two developed arthritis like symptoms. Increasing difficulty walking. Looking to be in pain. One died and today butchered another. Has misshapen bones and what looks like bruising on breast and drumsticks. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with them. Others look fine. Is the meat safe to eat?? Feel so bad. Turkeys are so sweet

broad breasted turkeys both bronze and white were bred to gain a large amount of wait in a short amount of time which is good for buturing and bad for the bird long term because his bones and body itself cant keep up with the constant weight gain which causes the broad breasted breeds to be a lott more prone to leg injuries and health problems i hope this helps
smile.png

For what it's worth, according to the feed bags, turkeys want to be on a high protein feed for quite a bit longer than chickens. Not sure if this effects bone growth???

Perhaps more turkey professionals will chime in.

i know people that want to keep them long term have to ration there feedings very carefully

Actually, I raised broad breasted turkeys without any problems. I gave them the high protein starter followed by a high protein grower. I never restricted their feed but I did free range them. I butchered the toms every fall but kept BB hens around for years without any problems.

oh ok i was probably thinking about the broiler chickens where you have to ration feed for long term keep theyre like the broad breasted with the weight and leg problem sorry

Back
Top Bottom