Broiler Autopsy - what is that. A gall bladder?

Island Roo

Songster
7 Years
Feb 14, 2012
Duncan, BC
Sorry no pictures...

I had a cornish cross who was fading quickly so I decided to process early. He's eight weeks and freezer camp happens on tuesday.

I processed it but when I pulled the liver out, I noticed it was larger than usual and had a yellowish mushy fluid filled "object" on it. Maybe 1/2 inch by 1 1/2 inches. I've seen ascites before and it's didn't look like that. There was nothing that looked like a gallbladder. When I tried to take the yellowish thing off the liver I guess I punctured it and creamy/yellow fluid drained out of it leaving an empty sac. The liver was stained the same creamy/yellow colour where this "object" was touching it within the body cavity. The liver looked like the normal liver colour everywhere else.

Could that yellowish have been a gallbladder?

I wish I had taken pictures but when the thing drained its creamy fluid I thought - why bother now.

Anyone know what I saw? I'm assuming it's not too common or my internet searches would have found it.

What a shame.

I assume the entire bird would be condemned if a government inspector saw that. I think I'll do the same.

This batch of cx is the worst I've had. My last 2 batches, I only lost 1 bird. This time 8 out of 35 won't make it to 8 1/2 weeks. 3 others were processed early and the meat was salvaged but I still consider this a failure.

I suspect there's something up at the hatchery. Still, I don't think this is the right type of bird for me. Time to move on to other options. Sure, I could keep trying to modify my husbandry to make this work better but why force a square peg into a round hole.

Rant....

I hear ya', Island Roo! I suggest looking at Freedom Rangers. I have not tried them myself, but everyone I know who has seems to be very happy with them.

Back
Top Bottom