Broiler Meat Birds: To Brood Or Not To Brood

I have to agree that the name of this post is misleading. I clicked on it thinking it was a discussion on broilers brooding. I also agree that the health of the broilers depends on the living conditions. I recently adopted two broilers from our local animal shelter. I knew nothing about chickens but I have close friends who work at the shelter and they notify me if they think I may be interested in any animals that come in. I'm keeping them as pets and I am getting eggs from them. They're very happy and healthy. They literally run across the yard to me when I have treats. They certainly are not miserable or disgusting. I don't plan on eating them. I don't like meat enough to find pleasure in that.but they have incredible sassy personalities and bring joy to everyone who sees them. My 6 year old niece especially.

Just found this posting. We raised 36 Cornish this summer. Had decent weather for north central Wisconsin and had quite large roaming area for birds. They sure do eat a lot but they also kept clean and seemed to enjoy being outside. The larger ones moved around as fast as the smaller ones. Some ened up at 10 lbs and average was over seven lbs. one trick is to raise the feeders as they grow and have more but smaller feeders. Keeps them moving . Great summer project, grand kids loved them.
:):):)

Hi, loved seeing a picture of your meat birds being raised as they should. We currently have over 30 laying chickens, and would like to add meat chickens to our farm. When checking on ordering them I was surprised roos and mixed bunces where more expensive than just hens. Do you know why that is? Any help would be great/ We currently have pigs, turkeys and chickens, so I am no newbie to farm animals, just the meat birds! Thanks

The males grow bigger than the females.. and since they're dinner well before crowing or laying, bigger is better in this case.

Now, I'm new to learning how to be self-sufficient and this year is when I really stepped up to the plate and did a lot of research about chicken breeds, what this breed is used for... etc. and I apologize for sounding a bit naive or ignorant but I have to disagree with the statements: "terribly disgusting creatures", "they are not a natural breed of chicken", and "genetically modified".

Yes it is true that they do go to the bathroom constantly - I can speak from experience here because I have a broiler meat bird hen and I decided to keep her not only because I took care of her when she was a ill little peep, but she grew on me too. She's also my problem hen sometimes - always getting into mischief, but she acts like a regular chicken! She gets dust baths, she eats bugs, picks at the ground and looks for worms, grub worms, what ever her little heart desires! Now I did hear that they are a cross between different breeds but I can't see them being "genetically modified chickens". Plus, she's a very healthy girl (aside from having sores on her feet and on her abdomen because she escaped from the talons of a hawk and hid out for awhile.) I know that every one is titled to their own opinion, especially about meat birds, but I can't see my chicken being genetically modified and disgusting:

She is a clever girl and also very healthy otherwise and is free range, not cooped up in her coop or anything. (Right now I have her pictured here in a box because I was fixing the sores on her feet and chest and also making sure she was getting enough food and water before I released her back with the other chickens.)

I kept the smallest broiler "hen" I had. I was planning to breed her with a RIR or RIW roo for a shortcut start to a meat bird. Well, "she" turned out to be a cockerel. I noticed he was actually capable of topping the hens. I put him with some RIW hens and have some eggs developing in the incubator. I'm interested to see how they turn out.

I kept the smallest broiler "hen" I had. I was planning to breed her with a RIR or RIW roo for a shortcut start to a meat bird. Well, "she" turned out to be a cockerel. I noticed he was actually capable of topping the hens. I put him with some RIW hens and have some eggs developing in the incubator. I'm interested to see how they turn out.
There is a cross similar to this I think they call it Sagita or something like that I have seen a few hatcheries sell it. I have used a roo like this over some marans and some isas the cjicks did turn out and did grow bigger faster than the regular rir or brown so I would think you would get some good chicks...happy hatching

I'm planning on getting some local broilers soon I have layers but I would like to keep other breeds as well, do broilers lay eggs and get broody if they are not used for meat.

Back
Top Bottom