Broken beak question

ginger c.

Songster
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Alabama
Somehow our little rooster (about 24 weeks old) broke off the very tip of his beak.
You can see the damage below. The white at the tip of his beak is his lower beak. The line going acress the middle is actually a bit of grass or straw.

Is this injury common? Will it heal or grow back? He's still able to eat his regular food, but he's having a hard time eating grapes and some other goodies he finds while free ranging.

Also, it shouldn't cause him any discomfort, right?

Thanks in advance,

GC's DH

87741_piper-beak.jpg

He should be fine in no time. Beaks have a great many nerves in them, so it may bother him a bit, but it should grow out pretty quickly. He's cute as a button.

Good luck.

I have had two hens do the same thing. They did in by panicking in my quarentine cage, its only a rabbit cage so when they jump/flap they hit their heads in the roof and chipped their beaks.

Both grew back perfectly fine and they needed no special treatment

Quote:
Thanks. I had to practically beg my wife to let us keep him. Luckily, he sounds like Tarzan when he crows. LOL. So the neighbors didn't even realize we had a rooster. They thought it was a Halloween toy.

GC's DH

Quote:
Cool. Since we have 2 cats, a dog, and countless squirrels and several neighboorhood cats that come in the yard, I want him able to protect himself and his little ladies.
love.gif
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom