Broken / scraped beak

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
I noticed today that my 3 month old BCM cockerel had the very tip the top part of his beak broken off. In addition, his beak has been scraped raw. I have not observed him eating on his own (not saying he isn't- he just wasn't at the feeders when I was checking him out) but he did eat some crumbles from my hand and also some scrambled eggs. He ate sort of intermittenly- happily pcked some food and then would hesitate... suddenly peck food again... hesitate. Would the raw part of his beak be painful?

Should I apply anything to his beak, or do anything special to help him? I'm already planning to give him some extra attention and regular hand feedings for the next few days to make sure he's getting enough to eat. Beyond that can I just wait for it to heal/grow back? Or does he need treatment? TIA!

2023.06.15 01 chicken health 01 Flip Cup beak injury.jpg
2023.06.15 01 chicken health 02 Flip Cup beak injury.jpg
2023.06.15 01 chicken health 002 1 Flip Cup beak injury.jpg

If he's not eating on his own then I'd say that it's probably causing him some pain. I wouldn't worry too much about it though cause it will definitely grow back. It just needs some time. Hand feeding would be a good idea just to make sure he's still eating.

Does the rest feel secure? I've read there are ways to "make" a beak in case of it falling off.

One of my mine had the end of hers come off and looked very similar. I gave her mash and put it in a deep bowl so she could easily get it. The raw part definitely hurts them. I believe I also made her eggs.

The good news was that the rawness seemed to start going away in a couple of days so she was back to eating. However, don't give anything hard that they will peck at!

It takes quite a while for it to grow back.

He's really handsome!

Back
Top Bottom