How do I know when it’s time to put down my little boy?

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
I have a scissor beak chick who is 14 weeks old, until now the only thing I noticed was different about him was that he was a lot smaller than his siblings and ofc his beak.
I am beginning to notice him struggling more as the beak becomes more and more crooked. He doesn’t like wet food so he will only eat his food dry with is a challenge for him.I do trim his beak every now and then😊

When do I take the decision to put him down,I know that is how his life unfortunately is gonna end as we can’t keep him bc we already have a rooster and he can’t get sold
I don’t want him to be in pain but I also want him to live the best life he can live

I have a scissor beak chick who is 14 weeks old, until now the only thing I noticed was different about him was that he was a lot smaller than his siblings and ofc his beak.
I am beginning to notice him struggling more as the beak becomes more and more crooked. He doesn’t like wet food so he will only eat his food dry with is a challenge for him.I do trim his beak every now and then😊

When do I take the decision to put him down,I know that is how his life unfortunately is gonna end as we can’t keep him bc we already have a rooster and he can’t get sold
I don’t want him to be in pain but I also want him to live the best life he can live
So sweet of you to give the little one a chance... This is a hart call to make. However, When he suffers and can't eat properly... His days are limited I'm afraid...

So sweet of you to give the little one a chance... This is a hart call to make. However, When he suffers and can't eat properly... His days are limited I'm afraid...
Yeah, I’m afraid that they are, in the weekend I’m going to trim his beak again to hopefully make it easier to eat, I have also put in a water bowl in the coop because I’m afraid he can’t drink out of it anymore. But I will try and make the best out of his last time and spoil him rotten😊

So sorry about your predicament. I know whatever decision you make, it will be a good one. It is clear you are a super kind and empathetic person. :hugs

Do you feed crumbles or pellets? Crumbles from a deep sided bowl are easier for a scissors beak chicken to eat. Wet feed is also good, mixed fresh, so maybe he will change his mind about that.
They are eating pellets, because that’s the only grower feed you can get in the nearest stores around me, I sometimes do ground their feed into crumble but he isn’t interested in that. I will try and put a bowl of fresh mixed pellets/crumble in tomorrow to see if that can spark an interest in him😊 thank you for the suggestion

Crumbles are much easier to get in their beaks when the beak does not come together.
They are eating pellets, because that’s the only grower feed you can get in the nearest stores around me, I sometimes do ground their feed into crumble but he isn’t interested in that. I will try and put a bowl of fresh mixed pellets/crumble in tomorrow to see if that can spark an interest in him😊 thank you for the suggestion

Back
Top Bottom