Broken chick

Cheney

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2022
Hi, all recently, one of our hens hatched two chicks out of 11 eggs that she was nesting on- this is our first experience with a rooster and fertilized eggs. The chicks have been thriving. We partitioned part of our long coop off to keep the other chickens away and gave her two nesting boxes, and an area to be with her chicks. A couple of times the mama hen would roost way high up and her chicks were with her. Yesterday I went in to give them more feed and freshwater, and one of the chicks was laying on the floor of the coop, not using her legs at all. She’s eating and drinking a little and pooping, and I’ve moved her into a separate box with a heat lamp , but she’s not bearing any weight on her legs. I don’t know if she tried to fly up and fell, or what happened. She is about four weeks old. I’m getting her vitamin water and her regular starter feed as well as worms and a little bit of tomatoes , but I’m not sure what else to do. The other chick is thriving and seems to be doing just fine as well as the mama hen. No one is showing any sign of disease and her legs don’t feel broken but she’s not bearing any weight on them at all. I let mama keep the other eggs for about a week and half after these two had hatched, with no signs of life. I decided to see what was going on. All of them but one were rotten. The one egg felt solid, and when I cracked it open, there was a dead, fully formed chick. No idea why….my biggest concern is what is happening to this one chick who was doing great, but now can’t walk. Her butt might be protruding a little, but I honestly don’t know since I didn’t check it before she got disabled… Any suggestions?

I'm sorry about your chick.

Do you have photos of her and her poop?

Hard to know if she's suffered from a fall/injury or if it's something else.

It sounds like you are doing what you can for her. Vitamins that contain B1 and B2 would be good to give.
Keep her hydrated and eating chick starter.
If she's unable to stay upright, you can also put her in a chicken sling/chick chair for monitored periods of time to see if this helps.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

1699242875083.png

Hi, all recently, one of our hens hatched two chicks out of 11 eggs that she was nesting on- this is our first experience with a rooster and fertilized eggs. The chicks have been thriving. We partitioned part of our long coop off to keep the other chickens away and gave her two nesting boxes, and an area to be with her chicks. A couple of times the mama hen would roost way high up and her chicks were with her. Yesterday I went in to give them more feed and freshwater, and one of the chicks was laying on the floor of the coop, not using her legs at all. She’s eating and drinking a little and pooping, and I’ve moved her into a separate box with a heat lamp , but she’s not bearing any weight on her legs. I don’t know if she tried to fly up and fell, or what happened. She is about four weeks old. I’m getting her vitamin water and her regular starter feed as well as worms and a little bit of tomatoes , but I’m not sure what else to do. The other chick is thriving and seems to be doing just fine as well as the mama hen. No one is showing any sign of disease and her legs don’t feel broken but she’s not bearing any weight on them at all. I let mama keep the other eggs for about a week and half after these two had hatched, with no signs of life. I decided to see what was going on. All of them but one were rotten. The one egg felt solid, and when I cracked it open, there was a dead, fully formed chick. No idea why….my biggest concern is what is happening to this one chick who was doing great, but now can’t walk. Her butt might be protruding a little, but I honestly don’t know since I didn’t check it before she got disabled… Any suggestions?
Did the little chick make it or get better?

Back
Top Bottom