Broken Down Run Substrate in Raised Bed?

Thanks for all the help! Our gardens in the past have been underperforming, but I think they've always gotten too much evening sun. Not a problem in this spot. Here's my progress on the duck proof raised garden.

IMG_20200402_170646.jpg

Just need to build the gate and fill in the flower boxes up front with dirt, then it's time to plant.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the help! Our gardens in the past have been underperforming, but I think they've always gotten too much evening sun. Not a problem in this spot. Here's my progress on the duck proof raised garden.

View attachment 2073619
Just need to build the gate and fill in the flower boxes up front with dirt, then it's time to plant.

Thanks again!
That is beautiful!

Those are lovely garden beds!

So I use my brooder wood chips to mulch my berry bushes, fruit trees, as “brown” substrate for the worms and the compost pile, and forked in to add drainage to our clay soil. If you’re having drainage issues you can always aerate as well. I do mine manually because I’m cheap and need the exercise :sick:sick

I’ve only had the ducks for 6 weeks but from what I’ve read, their poop is cold compost. Not quite as cold as say, rabbit poop, but unless it’s totally saturated I think you’re safe.

Sounds like I'll till in the more broken down parts and maybe too dress with the larger bits of straw. Thanks!

Sounds like I'll till in the more broken down parts and maybe too dress with the larger bits of straw. Thanks!
Have you heard of a guy in Washington State named Paul Gautschi? He does a no-till wood chip covered garden and I'm going to try it this year. There are lots of YouTube videos on his method and it makes so much sense. "Back to Eden Gardening" is what it's called.

Back
Top Bottom