broken egg inside hen?? help

Raven81

Songster
9 Years
Nov 3, 2010
Te Anau NZ
well i have a sick light sussex in her 2nd yr laying. she has been laying soft shell eggs but thought she came right after i gave her extra grit. but last nite i found her sleeping in the run not looking good comb was starting to go black on the tips. i brought her in & after looking on here i suspected she was egg bound, gave her a bath & left her inside for the nite. this morning looked alot better bright comb, so i let her out with the others. she has stood hunched up by the water bowl most of day & ive just been out & had another look at her rear & managed to get (what looks like a soft shell skin) out of her but she is still straining but i cant get anything else out with out being really rough & hurting her. oh & when i was getting out the 'skin' she spewed up water. her poop looks normal.
can she come right from this or do i have to put her out of her misery?
what else can i do for her?

sad.png

went to give her another bath & she was gone i only checked her 20 mins ago & she didnt look like she was about to die.

that makes 4 in the last week 2 layers & 2 young chicks

Last edited:
Shucks. If she's not passed on already, I would help speed up the process so she doesn't have to suffer any more.

Quote:
Sounds like you have something else going on if you have lost 4 in a week.

I would make a list of the symptoms each had and see if you can pinpoint any disease.

Back
Top Bottom