Broken leg on 3 month old pullet. Help!?

dawnjerrene

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 27, 2008
Eastern Washington
I am pretty sure our little Buff Orpington pullet has a broken right leg. I put a popsicle stick splint on it (not very well, I'm afraid). She is not able to put any weight on it. Will it heal? We've never had a bird break a leg before. I'm in dire need of some advice. I really don't want to have to put her down. She's a really sweet bird. Can anyone share some knowledge, please?

This happened at bedtime, when my 8 year old daughter was helping put them into their pen. The bird fluttered out of her hands, and landed badly. It has its leg pulled up against its body, and can't/won't put any weight on it, at all. It won't even extend the leg.

Last edited:
This happened at bedtime, when my 8 year old daughter was helping put them into their pen. The bird fluttered out of her hands, and landed badly. It has its leg pulled up against its body, and can't/won't put any weight on it, at all. It won't even extend the leg.
Yes,splint leg just make sure it is not too tight,you don't want to cut off circulation. Leave splint on for 2 weeks,keep her separated so no further injuries can occur or other chickens bothering her. It also could be a sprain,can you feel a fracture on her leg? If you feel it could be a sprain(you will know this if after taking splint off in couple of days,she will put her weight on leg)soak her leg in an epsom salt soak bath for 15-20 mins this is great for sprains/sore muscles. If you feel she is in pain,you can give a baby aspirin(81mg)dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,crush and put in water or sprinkle over feed,may make her drowsy. Make sure she is eating/drinking.

Back
Top Bottom