Hen with hurt leg

MotherClukr

In the Brooder
May 2, 2023
Hello!

I have a 7 month old buff orpington with a hurt leg. She has been limping on it for about a month now and doesn't appear to be making any recovery progress. I did do my own examination and she is able to bend/extend it without any noticeable pain, so I assume it isn't broken. No bumblefoot. She appears to be losing some weight--not at an alarmingly rate, but she's definitely a little lighter than our other hens. I offer crushed oyster shells and put vitamins in their water.

We live in California, so we aren't dealing with very harsh weather-- just some rain and low temps in the high 30s/40s at night. I've been debating whether to bring her inside and crate her for several days to help her recover, but I've also heard that could cause alienation from the flock (I have a small flock of 4 hens). Has anyone successfully brought their hen inside for several days and was then able to reintroduce her to the flock? Should I bring her inside during the day, and put her back on the roost at night? Any input or appreciated.

Thank you!

Can you crate her outside in the coop with food and water? I always try to keep them with their flock to prevent reintroduction problems. A 1/4 tablet of human vitamin b complex crushed into some food may help her leg. Resting the leg is good for a week or two, then reevaluate.

Back
Top Bottom