Reintroducing healing hen to flock

NewChickenFriend

Hatching
May 13, 2023
Hello! I have an adult hen that is healing from a broken leg. This week it will be 1 month, the leg has been splinted and she goes back for an X-ray this week. We’ve kept her separate, with another older hen, from the rest of the flock as she heals. The hens in the rest of the flock seem fine with her, we’ve let them interact under supervision but I’m worried about the 2 roosters. I’m worried about them chasing her and mounting her and hurting the leg. Any tips for reintroducing? Has anyone had a break heal successfully? Can she even be with roosters after this?

No one can say how well this will go.
2 roosters may not be an issue, but possible, just depends on how the act/react to the hens being put back within the flock.
They likely will want to mate with her, you'll have to see how that works out, observation of your flock and their interactions is going to be key to keeping her safe, but also getting her back with her flock where she belongs.

Yes, I have had a hen with a fractured leg, I splinted it, but left her with her flock (which included a mature rooster) during the healing process. She self-limited her activity during the day and rested quite a bit. At night, I'd place her into a nest for comfort. Once she started getting up on the roosting bars on her own and moving about more (Maybe 6wks), the rooster started showing more interest in her.

Back
Top Bottom