Hchickenlover

Hatching
Mar 26, 2024
My 3 or 4yr old ISA Brown chicken isn't putting any weight on her leg. I found her last night around 4pm leaning on her side. She didn't run from me which is unusual. I brought her into the house and she is not putting any weight on her leg. She has been inside for almost 24 hours

-I think she might of broke her thigh bone.....

She's eating and drinking, talking and acting like herself.

Is there anything I can do to help her? And make her more comfortable?

Last edited:
Have you examined the leg carefully from shank to thigh, looking for signs of greenish bruising and swollen tissue? Or an obvious compound fracture?

More likely it's a sprain or strain. Keeping her inactive for a couple weeks will allow the tissue to heal. But do try to fix her a temporary enclosure so she doesn't need to be isolated from the flock which is traumatic and reintegration can be hell.

Have you examined the leg carefully from shank to thigh, looking for signs of greenish bruising and swollen tissue? Or an obvious compound fracture?

More likely it's a sprain or strain. Keeping her inactive for a couple weeks will allow the tissue to heal. But do try to fix her a temporary enclosure so she doesn't need to be isolated from the flock which is traumatic and reintegration can be hell.
Ok thank you so much! I will get her outside as soon as possible! I didn't see any bruising.

Back
Top Bottom