Broken Neck Feathers?

LittleWhiteDove

Songster
Oct 22, 2016
Hedley British Columbia
Hello Everyone,
Its me, FluffyFlockLove again. My questions this time is not about disease, illness, injury, or even an emergency this time. Its about feathers. This also has to do with my wonder hen Beauty who some of you have probably read about in my article called A Beautiful New Hope. In case you haven't been reading and following along with my Article let me catch you up a bit. Beauty arrived at my farm with her sister Pandora. Both hens had lice. There were no signs of nits on them so my guess was the infestation had just started. Beauty however also arrived with a large scare to her one side and a large wound on her other side.

Beauty is doing amazingly well now and both girls are free of lice, healthy, and in a flock with 2 other hens, and 2 rooster. One rooster is 1 1/2 years old now and the other only 6 months. Both boys get along amazingly and never pick on the girls. Beauty is kind of at the bottom of the hens pecking order well her Sister Pandora is 2 in command. She protects Beauty a great deal, heaven forbid another hen even lightly pecks her.

When Pandora and Beauty arrived I treated both hens for the lice one Beauty's wound was healed enough. I bathed the girls every few days to treat the lice for 2 weeks so about twice each week. Both girls got dry skin from it but the lice is gone, and the dry skin has flaked and has fallen off both girl. Beauty has a tiny bit of skin flakes still on her but they are falling off. Pandora is doing really well but right now Beauty has me worried. Her feathers around the top of her neck appear to be breaking off. None of the hens really bother with her or pick on her and my two boys are extremly sweet to all the girls. The entire flock is on a 18% Poultry Grower Crumble, as in my area I can't get a laying hen crumble. The feed stores can't even order it on, and I found that crushing the pellets wasn't working because it either turned them to dust or didn't crush them at all. Beauty is also currently laying so I know she isn't moulting.

Dose anyone have any idea why her feathers are breaking and what I can do to help her as they are only her neck? I got the best photos I could get.

Photo above: Pandora in back, and Beauty in front (so you can see the difference in neck feathers

I agree with the above. Even when hens don't moly sometimes a few feathers will grow back here and there. The feathers will come out naturally on their own.

She hasn't molted since I got her and her neck feathers were in perfect condition till a few weeks ago. Its progressivly getting worse. I thought they were new growth as well until I noticed over time the area was getting bigger. Could she just be starting to molt? and don't hens stop laying when they molt because she still lays for me every other day.

Back
Top Bottom