Broken toe, or just oddly swollen?

Good, I was hoping it was not bumblefoot. No, no one picks on the sex links, and she really only limps when she runs at this point ; making me think she is getting better.

Yes it was dirt, she was digging in a nice pile of mulch that I had apparently spread around my trees just for her......

Yes, I mulched three trees this week and all have been dug about in by the hens. All yard work is always for the hens enjoyment (in their opinion). It does sound like she is doing better. Hopefully she just continues to improve. Hens can be quite resilient.

Last edited:
Yeah I am glad she is doing better. This is not the first time one of my chickens had a limp (had a big ol maran that was limping)

I am just wondering how / where / what is causing the injury so I can try and "chicken proof" it

I would look into the roost and nest box height. Make sure they have a soft surface to land on in the coop when they jump down. Some of my hens are just intrepid explorers (and fliers) and I cannot chicken proof my whole yard (or the neighbors) so a few bumps and scrapes come with the territory.

Well they like to sleep on the top of the coop (after I made them a nice house) and they like try and see how far they can fly off it in the morning. The coop is probably only 5 feet off the ground.

Back
Top Bottom