Brood hatch chick safety

Iluvpugs

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2021
I have a silkie brooder who stays in the favorite nesting box (1 of 3). She is little and picked on by bigger hens. They will kick her out of the nesting box and lay. As soon as that hen is done, she returns to sit on the eggs. We remove the non-silkie eggs every day and will let her hatch silkie eggs (if they do). When that time comes, should I separate the broodie and her eggs from the main coop where they gave al lived for a year? I do have a separate coop next to it as a bachelor pad or other use. I was fortunate to get 9 hens and 1 rooster. I worry that the big hens will step on hatchlings in the favored nest box. Thank you for any advice from this very helpful group!

Separate her in the other coop, make sure she has access to outside if she wants to, so make a small attached run that she can stretch her legs in.
I never separate my broodies, but it seems yours won't be able to raise chicks safely since she is so low in the pecking order.
Introduce her and the chicks back when she has weaned them off.

Thanks-I appreciate your response. I do not even know if she will hatch babies, but want to be ready!

Back
Top Bottom