Brooder heat lamp question

I want to add two questions. I am using a tub similar to the one in KBGChicken's photo, for four chicks. My questions are:
1. This tub is going to be too small to go all the way to the point that the girls move outside, right? So I need to look for something bigger. (4 chicks will eventually need 8 sq. feet. So I would need two tubs or something at least 4ft. x 2ft.)
2. I borrowed a brooder lamp and I'm so far having to keep it about 22 inches above the level of the bedding (12 inches higher than the rim of the tub). I think I'll need to go out and buy a smaller bulb. But my question is this: Under what circumstances would a bulb as powerful as I've got EVER be useful? At any height similar to what I'm seeing in other photos of brooders, it would make the area underneath it at least 110 degrees (that's what the corner of my tub got to!).

For the first question yes you probably will need a larger brooder depending on the age you are moving them outside and whether you will bring them outside during the day and inside to sleep...
It depends on where you keep your brooder, my brooder is in the garage that is unheated and i use 2 250w bulbs for 13 chicks in a large rabbit hutch so it stays the proper temp for my set up. If it gets too hot I will turn one off during the day and it is back on at nighttime

a draft fence in a brooder is about 12" tall. 2 or 3 cardboard boxes broken down and tapped in a circle or square will do until you get something better. those chicks need about 2-3 feet available to get AWAY from the lamp. If a chick wants to be 50 degrees or 70 or 90, its up to the chick in a proper brooder. they can move away or to depending on their needs.

a draft fence in a brooder is about 12" tall. 2 or 3 cardboard boxes broken down and tapped in a circle or square will do until you get something better. those chicks need about 2-3 feet available to get AWAY from the lamp. If a chick wants to be 50 degrees or 70 or 90, its up to the chick in a proper brooder. they can move away or to depending on their needs.
I just made a cardboard brooder for my now 3 days old--electrical tapeed the boxes together--it was huge and they could run, walk, and pick their comfort zone. They are in coop now, I am worried the bin those 5 chicks are in is way to small and allows for no temperature variations. I am a firm believer that chicks need cooler areas at times--a constant heat of 95 degrees is just too stressful.

I want to add two questions. I am using a tub similar to the one in KBGChicken's photo, for four chicks. My questions are:
1. This tub is going to be too small to go all the way to the point that the girls move outside, right? So I need to look for something bigger. (4 chicks will eventually need 8 sq. feet. So I would need two tubs or something at least 4ft. x 2ft.)
2. I borrowed a brooder lamp and I'm so far having to keep it about 22 inches above the level of the bedding (12 inches higher than the rim of the tub). I think I'll need to go out and buy a smaller bulb. But my question is this: Under what circumstances would a bulb as powerful as I've got EVER be useful? At any height similar to what I'm seeing in other photos of brooders, it would make the area underneath it at least 110 degrees (that's what the corner of my tub got to!).
It is always nice to have more room for them to run around and get the exercise they need as they grow, but it all depends on your situation and how much room you can provide. I started with 2X4 feet and expanded (I used scrap wood) and added another light on once they "ventured" to the additional space. As you can see in the pics, I used a 75 watt bulb at 18 inches and they still didn't sleep directly under the light...much too hot for them.
I would recommend to anyone to buy a smaller bulb. I have not found a 250 watt bulb useful in any circumstance.
I bought a thermometer and put it under the light on the shavings and it was the right temp.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am definitely going to make a larger brooder. Out driving around this morning I trash-picked a crib. I'm going to line it with cardboard and I'll have a beautiful brooder!
(But I still think I'm going to have to get a different bulb. That big one just needs to be so far from the chicks it's hard to manage.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am definitely going to make a larger brooder. Out driving around this morning I trash-picked a crib. I'm going to line it with cardboard and I'll have a beautiful brooder!
(But I still think I'm going to have to get a different bulb. That big one just needs to be so far from the chicks it's hard to manage.
thumbsup.gif

I LOVE your creativity! Please post a pic of your new brooder if you can!
CJ

Pics of the crib-brooder will come soon. (Not totally set up yet.)

Another newbie question: Does a red light help that much, or am I better off with the right wattage even if it's white light? As noted above, I have a 250 watt red bulb. But it's too hot. I have regular flood lights I could swap in. Am I going to regret it, pecking-wise?

Back
Top Bottom