Brooder heat lamp question

Got the crib brooder built. We ended up cutting down the crib and just making it a frame to hold a cardboard box. Funny thing is that once we'd cut it down and screwed it all back together it didn't fit in the door! Had to roll it all the way around to the front door and then two adults had to lift it down the steps to where we wanted it. Not quite ideal size-wise. But it's a great setup for watching the chicks and they love having all the extra room to roam.

I want to add two questions. I am using a tub similar to the one in KBGChicken's photo, for four chicks. My questions are:
1. This tub is going to be too small to go all the way to the point that the girls move outside, right? So I need to look for something bigger. (4 chicks will eventually need 8 sq. feet. So I would need two tubs or something at least 4ft. x 2ft.)
2. I borrowed a brooder lamp and I'm so far having to keep it about 22 inches above the level of the bedding (12 inches higher than the rim of the tub). I think I'll need to go out and buy a smaller bulb. But my question is this: Under what circumstances would a bulb as powerful as I've got EVER be useful? At any height similar to what I'm seeing in other photos of brooders, it would make the area underneath it at least 110 degrees (that's what the corner of my tub got to!).

The only place I use a 250 watt bulb is in my 5' x 7' brooder room. It is at least 2' off the floor and the chicks have plenty of space to get away from the heat. When I have newborns in the house for the first two weeks I only use 60 watt or 75 watt regular light bulbs. But always use a thermometer to check. Overheating is just as deadly as being chilled for chicks.

Great idea! I had mine in a tub too & moved them to a dog kennel turned brooder today. Same concept with cardboard up the sides & red bulb. I've had a flood light on them in the Rubbermaid tub bc I broke my heat lamp the day I got my babies. They're happier now being able to move around.

It is always nice to have more room for them to run around and get the exercise they need as they grow, but it all depends on your situation and how much room you can provide. I started with 2X4 feet and expanded (I used scrap wood) and added another light on once they "ventured" to the additional space. As you can see in the pics, I used a 75 watt bulb at 18 inches and they still didn't sleep directly under the light...much too hot for them.
I would recommend to anyone to buy a smaller bulb. I have not found a 250 watt bulb useful in any circumstance.
I bought a thermometer and put it under the light on the shavings and it was the right temp.

Adorable!

I stole my husband's wireless BBQ thermometer- it's got two input wands and a wireless receiver. I can monitor the temps in the warmest and coolest parts of the brooder from anywhere in the house, and set an alarm to go off if it gets too warm or cold under the lamp.

We've got a heat wave coming next week along with the new hatchlings, so it'll be interesting to see how high I have to raise the lamp- I may need to turn it off completely in the afternoon. Our brooder is set up in the un insulated garage.

Back
Top Bottom