Brooder heating plate

SunneeSideUp

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2023
Hey there! So I have 4 baby chicks that are about 1 week old. They are currently in a extra large rubber maid tote. I had a heat lamp, but after reading all the horror stories about fires and them falling and killing chicks, I ordered a heating plate where they can go under it. That heat lamp I had was already wobbly and was clipped on the side and I was already trying to figure out how I was going raise it every week to lower the temp.

With the lamp, it was at about 95 degrees all week. I just tested this heated plate and it’s only right over 80 under it. According to the charts, temps this week should be 90. Will they get too cold? They are all huddled under it at the moment and overall seem happy. They are inside our house, in my laundry room and we do keep it about 70 in the house if it helps. It’s also on top of pine shavings. I’m hoping between all that and them snuggling that they will be okay! First time Chicken mom and I’m a worrier lol. Im nervous to sleep bc I don’t wanna wake up to dead babies due to me switching out their heat source. Just trying to be safer.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think the point of the brooder plate is that the chicks can touch the hot plate with their back when they want to warm up, rather than the plate radiating the heat. So make sure the plate is low enough for them to crouch under. Most plates I've seen can be put in at a slight angle, so the chicks can find their own sweet spot, even better if some birds are taller than others.

I think the point of the brooder plate is that the chicks can touch the hot plate with their back when they want to warm up, rather than the plate radiating the heat. So make sure the plate is low enough for them to crouch under. Most plates I've seen can be put in at a slight angle, so the chicks can find their own sweet spot, even better if some birds are taller than others.
Well I went in there to check on them and they were all huddled in the opposite corner! Not under it. Now I’m definitely worried about then getting cold. I guess they don’t like it. I pulled it out and put lamp in for tonight. Tomorrow I’ll work more on getting them used to it I guess.

IMG_20230220_134152124_HDR~2.jpg

I had to funnel my two chicks under it a few times until they got the hang of it, and having it on a slant helped with that. Wish I had a picture that showed it better. The front of the plate is around 3 inches off the ground, and 1 inch in the back behind little Ptera. Rexy is the black blur on the left. They did not like the glow stick lol

View attachment 3486167
I had to funnel my two chicks under it a few times until they got the hang of it, and having it on a slant helped with that. Wish I had a picture that showed it better. The front of the plate is around 3 inches off the ground, and 1 inch in the back behind little Ptera. Rexy is the black blur on the left. They did not like the glow stick lol
Aww so cute! I’ll probably try that tomorrow! There’s probably an adjustment period lol. They were under it for a few earlier and then every other time I checked they were in opposite corner.

They may need to be herded under it to realize it's warm. Do make sure they can physically make contact with the plate. After that, leave them to it - they need to be given cooler areas to get away from heat when they don't want it.

At 1 week old I'm guessing that they find the 70F of your house to be just fine, and will likely only use the heat source when napping or sporadically to warm up.

I di use the heat plate for a couple of brooding rounds but went back to the lamp - it is just so much easier…
With the plate, you can’t use it when the ambient temperature is under 70 ish degrees (because it doesn’t keep them warm enough), you can’t see the chicks to monitor if ever is fine, at night you have to worry about them all going and staying under there, or you have to install a nightlight for them to find their way, and fiddeling with the height is such a hassle. Did you know that the manufacturers actually tell you not to have it closer to the bedding than 3-4 inches, because there’s a fire danger? There is no way to set this up correctly and make it work for day old chicks. Finally you need to worry about placement, make sure no one can get stuck in the back or a corner. There are stories of smooshed chicks and singed backs under plates… I just hang my lamp at one end of the brooder, move feed and water further away from that end as chickies get older. They can pick their perfect temp spot in the heat lamp glow. I don’t move it up, I just let them move further away from the hot spot as needed. Then I switch to a 125 bulb from the initial 250 one. I put a metal xpen panel on top of the brooder so there’s no way a lamp can fall in. Also I attach it by both the hanger and the clamp (as is recommended) from a chain. My only fear now is that the bulb might blow, but a heat plate could malfunction, too, like anything. Anyway, I know the plates are all the rage, but I am happier with my good old lamp.

Back
Top Bottom