Brooder in Garage but garage just hit 90

Put a fan and point to the ceiling. I have mine in a garage and what you need is circulation without hitting them. You also need a second door for the air circulation. Mine are under a quilt at 100 for now. At two weeks we turn off brooder during the day and make sure they have plenty of room to move. I use a dog crate that hubby covered with hardware cloth. Just five them room to get away from heat but at that age your keeping them at 95 so honestly your ok without brooder.

Put a fan and point to the ceiling. I have mine in a garage and what you need is circulation without hitting them. You also need a second door for the air circulation. Mine are under a quilt at 100 for now. At two weeks we turn off brooder during the day and make sure they have plenty of room to move. I use a dog crate that hubby covered with hardware cloth. Just five them room to get away from heat but at that age your keeping them at 95 so honestly your ok without brooder.
100f is way too hot for two week old chicks...you are going to cook them having them in a covered cage.

I’m also in the same boat. My garage is hitting 90. We’re havjng a heat wave here in Canada into the 90s with the humidex (40 Celsius). Chicks are almost two weeks but in the garage. Don’t want to bring them in the house unless I have to. But it’s so damn hot outside even in the shade

What are you using for heat now?
Do you have other chickens in a coop?

I have some chickens in my outside coop, and right now I am going with a hanging heat lamp. The heat lamp puts out a lot of radiant heat and ive notice it increases the temp in a pretty big area. I figure if i reduce that ambient heat it will help w heat in the garage. Not too mention the fire hazard.

At a week old 90 degrees is where they should be. Then every week after that you lower the temp about 5 degrees. The only issue I see if your garage is 90 is that they don't have a way to regulate their temp. I usually keep mine inside with a heat lamp on one side of the brooder. This way they can get under it to keep warm, but can go to the opposite side to cool off if needed. Good luck with your new babies!

I’m a first time chicken mom, but I noticed that the temperature guidelines for chicks were just too warm for mine, and many others have commented on this. Plus the 90-degree area is supposed to be available to them, not be their only option. Mine were escaping the heat from day 2 and only going in their Mama Heating Pad cave when they got cold. So a 90-degree garage seems much too warm to me.

Mother hens raise their chicks outdoors. The chicks explore, then return to mama to get underneath and warm up.

Back
Top Bottom