Brooder lamps?

GrannySue

Songster
12 Years
Feb 4, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
I have a question about brooder lamps. Last year I used a plain 100 watt bulb over my 3 home hatched duckings and they were just fine.
Do I really need one of those red heat lamps or can I get away with a plain incandescent bulb?
Day-old chickens are arriving in a few days from the hatchery and I'm madly setting up their new home.
RSVP ASAP.

Edit: Oops! Wrong folder?

Last edited:
I bought red brooder light, it was only $18 or so with a bulb. It became really warm (actually, hot!) within 10-20 minutes after I I turned it on. I like it.

set your brooder up before your chicks arrive...turn your light on and keep a thermometer in the bottom of the brooder...If it too hot raise the light or switch to a smaller bulb...If its too cool lower the light or get a bigger bulb...better to have these details figured out before you put your chicks into it. Any bulb works becase use any bulb produces heat...some people use red bulbs or heat lamps...I use several canister light fixtures with seperate bulbs...If 1 burns out at least the rest are still heating the brooder until the bad 1 is replaced...I use different wattage bulbs in the fixtures so there are places in the brooder for the chicks to move to if they are too hot but yet these "cooler" areas are still warmer than the outside temperature....jmo

Last edited:
()relics :

set your brooder up before your chicks arrive...turn your light on and keep a thermometer in the bottom of the brooder...If it too hot raise the light or switch to a smaller bulb...If its too cool lower the light or get a bigger bulb...better to have these details figured out before you put your chicks into it. Any bulb works becase use any bulb produces heat...some people use red bulbs or heat lamps...I use several canister light fixtures with seperate bulbs...If 1 burns out at least the rest are still heating the brooder until the bad 1 is replaced...I use different wattage bulbs in the fixtures so there are places in the brooder for the chicks to move to if they are too hot but yet these "cooler" areas are still warmer than the outside temperature....jmo

How hot is right temp ?​

95 - 98 degrees for the first week...then I reduce the temperature about 5 degrees per week until they are feathered out...then its outside, providing it isn't the middle of the winter.

()relics :

95 - 98 degrees for the first week...then I reduce the temperature about 5 degrees per week until they are feathered out...then its outside, providing it isn't the middle of the winter.

ok thanks !!
thumbsup.gif

How large of a bulb you ought to use is a function of the air temperature outside of the brooder and how many birds you need to keep warm. For a small number of birds in a temperature stable area (such as in your home) then a single 100 watt bulb may be enough. If you're brooding many chicks outside then you may need to go with a 250 watt heat lamp and perhaps more than one.

This is what you are looking for:
L_2902108702.jpg

Taken from here: http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/2902/2902-1087/2902-1087.html

I haven't fooled with thermometer readings in my brooder in years. Trying to get an accurate reading when using radiant heat such as from light bulbs can be trying at times. I find it more accurate to go by what the chicks are doing which is what the graphic above is showing. The chicks will tell you when they are comfortable and when they are not.

.....Alan.

()relics :

Wait this is farenheit right ?​

Has anyone tried to buy a 100 watt blub. I can't find anything but soft white I looked today in three different stores.

And yes that is farenheit your right.

Back
Top Bottom