Brooder Plate Conundrum- not very warm but chicks look burned ?

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
Hi all!

My chicks range from 1-2 weeks old. They've been in a brooder in my coop with a heat plate (Producers Pride) for a week, and they’ve been doing fine.

This morning starting around 4 AM they came out from under the brooder plate and huddled together in a corner and didn’t go back under the plate. It was mid 40s in the coop. At 6 AM I checked them. They wouldn’t go under the plate. I felt it and it was barely warm, but it WAS warm, so I don’t know why the chicks wouldn’t go underneath. Aside from huddling together, they did not appear in distress- no chirping, warm bodies & feet, no shivering. But being the anxious mama I am, I brought them and the brooder plate indoors. Once inside the plate warmed up. The chicks continued to huddle away from the plate, then eventually they went back underneath.

After they’d been indoors for a while, I noticed what appear to be minor burns on the top of the wings of 2 of the chicks. (See pics). i don’t know if it happened during the night or after I brought them inside. The brooder plate gets very warm, but it’s never felt hot enough to burn. I can place my hand on it and it’s mildly uncomfortable after a bit of time, but I didn’t think it could burn.

Anyway, I ran out and bought 2 new brooder plates. While I was out, I put the chicks back in the coop w/ brooder (the coop was now 50 degrees). The chicks refused to go under the brooder plate again for about 2 hours. Then they finally went under it just a few minutes before I got home. I put my hand on it, and it was barely warm again. So the chicks are now inside with new brooder plate (I think the brand is Comfort?). This brooder plate is HOT. This will definitely burn someone. So I have it up at the highest level, but now I don’t know if they can get warm enough.

What is the appropriate height for a brooder pate? Should chicks be able to walk and stand underneath without touching it? Or should they crouch to go under and then lay down without touching? The last pic shows the height of the brooder presently.

Any idea how/why a brooder plate could seem not warm enough and yet still burn chicks? I suspect they got burned and that’s why they are now so reluctant to go underneath. Anyway, they’re spending the night indoors with the new heater, but tomorrow we’re going to try outdoors again with the new brooder plate. Hopefully it’ll function in the cooler temperatures.

Attachments

• 55EB6A25-F5E6-4324-9524-140CEB43F9D9.jpeg
    55EB6A25-F5E6-4324-9524-140CEB43F9D9.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 98
  • A12F917A-1854-41FE-8C22-74C81E14872F.jpeg
    A12F917A-1854-41FE-8C22-74C81E14872F.jpeg
    389.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 99AF9255-9E12-4BC8-998F-750AEE79A114.jpeg
    99AF9255-9E12-4BC8-998F-750AEE79A114.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 55
  • FBBF1295-1717-4FDE-A857-F2A6E39A803F.jpeg
    FBBF1295-1717-4FDE-A857-F2A6E39A803F.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
What is the appropriate height for a brooder pate?
Not familiar with that brand you just bought but most brooder plate heights warm by the chicks touching it. Best way to use a brooding plate is to have it on an angel higher in front and lower in back so they can go where it is comfortable for them. Like I posted in your other thread most brooder plates are not recommended for temps below 50 degrees Ambiant temps.

Not sure what you are seeing as burns might just be pics but I don't see any burns? can you describe in a little more detail of what you are seeing.
It’s the pink spots on the back/top of the wing. Fortunately the burns are very mild. But it’s there on both light-colored chicks. I suspect I just can’t see it on the dark chicks. This pic is the other light-colored chick.

Attachments

• 53DFB473-DAED-472E-A234-9DDD6907FF10.jpeg
    53DFB473-DAED-472E-A234-9DDD6907FF10.jpeg
    456.9 KB · Views: 85
It’s the pink spots on the back/top of the wing. Fortunately the burns are very mild. But it’s there on both light-colored chicks. I suspect I just can’t see it on the dark chicks. This pic is the other light-colored chick.
To me that looks like normal skin color not burns. It's just easier to see skin there because of less down in those areas they look fine to me.

What you're seeing is their elbows. Totally normal to have minimal down there, they also wont grow feathers there either but will be covered by them once they feather in
I was going to argue that they didn’t have the pink spots yesterday, but I guess I didn’t see it because they’ve been in the coop which is darjee, and when I discovered the pink spots they were in the very well lit kitchen.

But now I’m puzzled as to why chicks that appeared to be cold (huddled together) were still refusing to go under the brooder…

But now I’m puzzled as to why chicks that appeared to be cold (huddled together) were still refusing to go under the brooder…
Without seeing the situation myself maybe what appeared to you to be cold wasn't at all cold to them and they were just fine. You said they still went under it later, so they know where its warmer and just didn't need heat at that time huddling together was enough at that time.

Back
Top Bottom