BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Quote:
HI, It seems the headline of this thread isn't bringing in an answer for you.
Perhaps if you start a new topic with a headline about brooder size, you'll probably get an answer right away. I'm finding that everyone here loves to be helpful. :^)

I can't really say because none of my chicks stays in a brooder beyond 3 weeks old. By then, they go out into a grow out coop with heat lamp till they are old enough to be in a coop with adults. By five weeks old, they only get a heat lamp on the coldest nights if it's winter, then by six weeks or so, no heat at all. I guess I'd say that by two weeks old, they are already outgrowing my brooder and flying out of it.

So my birds will be here in about a week. I have 10 coming. Im using a heavy cardboard box 24 x 36 x 21(deep). Ill put it in the spare room upstairs for a couple weeks. By about the 2 week mark we will have the coop done with a built in brooder underneath the nesting boxes that will measure 7 feet x 2 feet. My question is: how long CAN my babies stay in the cardboard box this size? I dont want to put them out too soon. The coldest nights are about 35. The coop is 10 x 8. Any thoughts?

As soon as they are feathered out, and no longer using the heatlamp, you can ease them outdoors. As for coop size...not sure. My actual nesting/roosting area is only 9x12 for 54 birds. They spend most of their days out in the covered run area (it is enclosed with snowboards for winter). It is very cold here now, and I plan to have my new chicks in the insulated garage until end of February at the least.

Me & my son built a new brooder for the chicks that we lost in the incubators when the power went off. It is 7' long by 2' wide by 2' tall but now it's cut in half due to us pickin up a trio of Seramas Friday. When we do get new chicks they will live in one side & the Seramas in the other. Here are a couple of pictures right after we put the wire on it.
70399_wire_brooder.jpg

70399_brooder_with_wire.jpg

Here is a picture of my "I already spent my money on all the other stuff" Chicken Brooder. It is 3.3Feet x 4.3 feet. I have 20 (heavy breed) Hens, and 2 Pekins (1male, 1female) arriving this morning! I'm crazy excited... probably too much..... ok definitely TOO MUCH
big_smile.png

77432_file0007.jpg

Last edited:
An update on mine:

A few changes have taken place since the original filming.....

Click the pic.

I corrected some issues regarding feed that I had stated in the first one.....

Back
Top Bottom