BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
I am new here so I have to show off my brooder too. It's a simple cardboard box cut in two then taped together to form an octagon sort shape. I put newspaper in the bottom then topped with shavings. I raised my water up as it was getting full of shavings. I also put a shoebox of sand in there. They love it!I have 12 new babies!
day3babychicks058.jpg

Outside of brooder (its in the garage, must to my dh distaste!!)
IMG_1449.jpg

Inside of brooder - all ready and waiting!
IMG_1448.jpg

lengthways view of brooder (if you tip your head on its side!!)
IMG_1450.jpg

Her is the brooder that I made. Its 4'x4' with a depth of 18" and the top is 3' off the floor so no more bending over. Both sides of the top open and it can be divided to make 2 brood areas. Needless to say it will hold alot of chicks. Its worked out real well.

DSCF2115.jpg

DSCF2117.jpg

The lights are on the outside of the wire so there is no chance that they will fall into the brooder. I put shavings down, then newspaper and then a piece of fabric to give the chicks a nice surface to begin with and after a few weeks I just take the cloth and newspaper out and they are on shavings. The fabric can be washed and used again with the next batch.

Georgia

Just wondering-my chicks are almost two weeks old. I put them in my coop today. I set it up pretty much like the brooder I had indoors. I have the heat lamp directed into one corner. The floor is covered with pine shavings. I also put the box of sand they like to scratch in and the "nest" (box they came in with straw like material ) in to make them feel secure. My coop is 6 X6. Is this okay?This is my first batch of chicks and I am wondering if it's ok to put them out there and out of the brooder. It's built really well and I think predator proof.Thanks!
[ IMG]http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/bamachick68/chickenhouse043.jpg[/IMG]

ok someone explain to me how to post a pic!

Last edited:
It's just an old rabbit cage with new hardware cloth on it in the icky bsmt bathroom. We bought it at an estate sale. I was going to remodel that old bathroom, but thought, why? It's covered with chickie dust every time I brood.
DCP_8047.jpg

DCP_8048.jpg

To give the maxium use out of a refigerator or washer machine box, get one of those trays you use for washing machines for water overfill...insert the trays in the box and its a quick cleaning up of shavings by using your dustpan and brush.

Great for isolating birds in the box in a pinch when you dont have a cage.

Back
Top Bottom