Brooder to Coop?

Hey there reedyfork!

What I have learned here at BTC from multiple sources, is that more chickens die from too much heat rather than too much cold. The other big killer in the coop is ammonia gas, and if you have inadequate ventilation it is a big problem.

Our winters here are pretty moderate. We do get a period of very cold weather a couple of times per winter, but overall it stays above freezing here most of the time. I've insulated the coop walls, floor and ceiling, so there won't be any drafts and just a lightbulb in there should be just fine.

Once my chicks are fully feathered I won't have a problem moving them into the coop. Originally I was shooting for May but now it looks like March instead.

Quote:
The question is: when to move them outside to their coop in the middle of the winter?

I plan to have the heat lamp installed in the coop (it's a small, 8 sf coop). Nightime lows here are typically 30-40 degrees (and like last week, down in the 20s occasionally). At what point would it be OK to move them? Is it OK to do it now, should I let them stay in the garage for a couple of weeks, or what?

Not that I'm in a hurry or anything, I just don't want to do it before they're ready.

Thanks!

Ron

With those temps, they should be able to go out now, with a heat lamp. If you want them to go without a lamp, then I'd wait a couple more weeks.

Quote:
No kidding! I've read the most recent thread about a heat-lamp coop fire, and there but for the Grace of God go we all. A fire in the coop would be heartbreaking.

In my view, and from what I've learned here and from the many friends we have who raise chickens is that the term "heat lamp" is widely misunderstood as is the proper use of one.

I see terms like "those red bulbs" and I shudder, because those are infrared heat bulbs and depending on the wattage, are quite capable of cooking your chicks in short order, and burning down your nice new wooden coop. If you are using a plastic tub as a brooder, if you put a 500 watt infrared lamp over the top of it, your chicks will not live long. I have one of those heat lamps left over from my Culinary School days. I use it for candy making, because it is hot enough to keep melted sugar hot enough to be pliable while you form it. It concentrates heat from an amazing distance away, and in fact will re-melt the sugar quickly (that's well over 300 degrees F folks) so you can see what an extreme fire hazard an infrared bulb can be.

If you take that same lamp and hang it over a highly flammable material (like pine shavings...) a fire is inevitable.

If you are keeping your rubbermaid brooder inside the house and monitor it as closely as you should, then you may well only need a 100 watt regular light bulb to keep your chicks warm, and even that might be too much. Out in my coop once it's done, I'm pretty sure that a temporary 60 watt light bulb might cast enough heat to make a warm spot safely in one corner without risking sending the whole coop up in flames. The key is to have a decent reflector hood with a stout hangar on it (other than the electrical cord) so you can positively secure the light at the proper distance to warm things up without caramelizing (or carbonizing...) whatever is under it.

In any cased, be sure to check the wattage on any heat bulb you use, have a reliable thermometer available to monitor the temperature down where the heat is, and experiment beforehand to thoroughly understand how much heat your bulb is putting out and at what distance.

wink.png

OK, I'm sure my girls are ready to go outside - but when will I be ready to move them out?

I confess I love visiting with them. They are currently in a huge 2 x 4 foot box with a screen on top and living in a guest room. I clean their box in the morning and at night so it does not smell. I pop in every couple of hours and they are always so happy to see me ( or is it the snack?).

They are now 8 weeks old and I'll be moving them out next week. We are expecting a big rain storm and I'll let them go out after that. I know they need to be in their own bigger space, but I really have enjoyed them.

Back
Top Bottom