Brooder to Coop?

team_realtree

Songster
14 Years
Jun 28, 2009
I have only raised one batch of chicks and I cant really remember so if you could help me out that would be great!

What is the estimated time when your chicks are ready or big enough to go into the coop from the brooder?

It would really be temperature dependant and how feathered your chicks are. I got chicks last May and I think I had them out of the brooder and into the coop at 5 weeks. Then again I brooded mine in the coop so the hardening off process was easy. Just provide the warmth they need. They will show you when it's time.

Bill

I agree.
depending on the outside temps it can be just about anytime after they are fully feathered.

I have an outside brooder that I finish mine in.

6-10 weeks
big_smile.png

Depends on your location and the coop itself. Predator and draft proof and at the temp. needed for the chicks per their age and they can be out there at any age.

With my first group (when I had no adults) I had them in the coop with a lamp in the corner at 5 weeks.

I think mine were in the coop at about 6 weeks too. Temps here would have been in the 50's at night. I sectioned off part of the large coop for them at that age and supplied them with the heat lamp when they wanted it. They did just fine and were used to the conditions in no time.

I put mine in the coop last year at 6 weeks. There was a heat lamp in one corner 24 hours a day until about 8 weeks. Then I only used a heat lamp on chilly nights for a couple of more weeks. I did not open the door for them to go into the run until they were about 8 weeks old.

Great thread here, and excellent advice!

I'm waiting on an imminent hatching for 5 RIR's, and I intend to start them here in the house, in a rubbermaid brooder with a heat lamp. But once the weather moderates, I won't hesitate to move them into the coop with a heat lamp like you folks are describing. As long as they have a heated corner, I see no reason why they can't go outside if the weather cooperates. I've spent a great deal of time building a secure coop, it already has power run to it and a heat lamp in the corner would not be hard to do at all.

wink.png

I'm raising my first chicks now, and I'm really interested in the responses to this topic. Mine are 6+ weeks old now, and I finally moved them out of the house to the garage last week. They still have their 100W heat lamp (I only have 3 chicks).

depending on the outside temps it can be just about anytime after they are fully feathered.

It would really be temperature dependant and how feathered your chicks are.

The question is: when to move them outside to their coop in the middle of the winter?

I plan to have the heat lamp installed in the coop (it's a small, 8 sf coop). Nightime lows here are typically 30-40 degrees (and like last week, down in the 20s occasionally). At what point would it be OK to move them? Is it OK to do it now, should I let them stay in the garage for a couple of weeks, or what?

Not that I'm in a hurry or anything, I just don't want to do it before they're ready.

Thanks!

Ron​

Back
Top Bottom