Brooder upgrade needed?

crystalsc

Songster
Jul 20, 2023
Greenville, SC
I know there’s probably an answer for this already somewhere in the forum, but as a newbie it’ll take me forever to find it so please forgive me.
I’m a 1st time chicken mom. I have 4 barred rock pullets. I’ve had them one week yesterday (assuming they are then about 8 or 9 days old).
I have them in a storage pin that is 30x20x18”h.
My most pressing concern is: will this work until they are ready to go to the coop or will they need something bigger?
I don’t have much money to spend honestly-I still have to build the run and I’ve spent a lot on food and supplies already. But if I must, I will. I had read when they begin trying to fly, that’s
IMG_1499.jpeg
when they go outside but I have no idea when that will be or how big they’ll be.
Thank you for any and all advice! BTW I know this looks dirty-I clean it each morning and evening. They’ve just been super active today and thrown everything around.

It appears that you may have a heat lamp on them and if that's the case, please make sure you're not overheating them by placing a thermometer in there.
Red heat lamps are way too hot for little plastic containers of that size.
Thank you. I’ve ordered a thermometer and humidity gauge that should be here tomorrow. The lamp is mounted fairly high up. The plastic is cool to the touch. The coop is almost ready. The run we haven’t started but will begin tackling this weekend. I’m hoping we can finish it in a week.

I have 4 barred rock pullets. I had read when they begin trying to fly, that’s View attachment 3583360when they go outside but I have no idea when that will be or how big they’ll be.
Pullets can begin to fly fairly well at a week or two of age, so obviously the rule of thumb you read doesn't compute in cold temps. However, depending on the current temp where you live, they could be fine outside with no supplemental heat by the time they are 2-3 weeks old. (They could be fine inside your house by that age too.) Though they will soon outgrow their current brooder, I think there are plenty of cheap to free options you can come up with. One that comes immediately to mind are free cardboard boxes, which you can get at walmart, grocery stores, etc. I wouldnt use cardboard under a heat lamp, so wait until you remove supplemental heat, which may only be another week or two. Line the bottom of the box with plastic sheeting of some type to keep it dry/make it last longer. You could even bring the chicks outside while you finish their coop and run. To do this, remove the bottom of a large box so the chicks have contact with the grass and dirt, but cover the top of the box with netting of some type so the chicks can't fly out. The box idea is only one of many i think you can come up with.

Thank you! I guess I’m not understanding how a box would be better. It may be longer but I don’t see many boxes bigger than this. And it won’t stop them from flying. So am I understanding you correctly that if the temperature is good outside, they could be ready for the coop?
ETA: I’ve done some googling now. I have a better vision. :)

Last edited:
I’m so stoked! I went out digging in my husbands barn and found some glass in this packing crate that is perfect. It’s 27.5”w x 58.5”l x 6” deep. It’s so good in fact, I think I’ll end up just throwing some legs on it and use it as the litter tray in the coop when the time comes. The only thing I’ll need to do is line the floor with something because it is OSB not plywood but other than that I think it’s great.

Back
Top Bottom